What other fruit do you give to a 6 month old?

my son is 6 months old and he eats solids. i usually mash up everything. i do make my own home made food, blended and easy for him to eat. i gave him a banana yesterday and he loved it. i was wondering what other fruit should i give him? oranges are too sour .. ? strawberries maybe ? i have a blender (unfortunately don't have magic bullet or something of that sort which can puree hard fruits) so i guess apples and pears are out of question. unless i boil them and cool them .. ? what other fruits ? any ideas people ?? thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• strawberries, blueberries, peaches, are all soft and can just mash or cut in bite size pieces. Apples and pears are good when the can chew better or just cook down till soft, applesause, mango might be okay later on. canalope can be mashed or small bite sizes pieces. Watermelon is easy to chew. My girls love all the above. Or can get a make into smoothies, pies will be soft enough to eat and still getting fruit, crisps or cobblers are easy and soft to chew, Pie filling and make into mini tarts or cobblers, banana, berries can blend into a milk shake, just get creative, can add to yougut even.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• apple sauce and pears are some of the fruits my boys liked to eat. Later on i gave them strawberries, apple pieces warmed up and melons cut up...when they had enough teeth.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My baby eats bananas pureed.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• go buy a blender. I paid $20 for mine and made all kinds of baby food. It will save you lots of money and time. I could steam all kinds of veggies and fruits and then pour them into ice cube trays, then into freezer bags. Each cube is a perfect serving size. There are all kinds of websites with baby food recipes.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I gave mine Kiwi & she loved it!
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 1:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My kids were able to gum an apple to mush, just make sure you peel it first. Grapes too, cut into quarters and watched carefully so he doesn't choke on the peels.

Peaches, nectarines, plums, pears, blueberries cut small, mango. You could also take any of the fruits and blend them with some yogurt to make a type of smoothie for him too.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Anything, cook any hard fruits. I never pureed any food I gave my kids - if you can mash it with the back of a fork, it's soft enough. It doesn't have to be pureed smooth, just make sure there aren't any large chunks.

Answer by missanc at 1:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I started with things like applesauce, pears, apricots, peaches, mango, bananas, and a few others like blueberries and peeled & cut grapes. Avocado is technically a fruit (but usually treated as a vegetable in cooking), and my son loved avocado. Some say to wait on strawberries, kiwi, or citrus fruits like oranges either for allergy risks or because the high acidity in the fruits can bother them when they are young. Most kids are fine with it, but I do know of one kid who had a reaction to kiwi last week, so just watch carefully for any adverse reactions whenever you do choose to introduce them to the ones that are more like to be an allergen. I can't remember when we did strawberries (just before a year--maybe 9 or 10 months?), and I finally gave him oranges (nectarines, etc) around 12 months. We have a magic bullet, and it works very well, but I'm sure a food processor or even a blender might be fine for some things.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Peaches, pears, apples- You can even mix them together
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 8:38 AM on Mar. 14, 2011