Should I give it a try? I've got reservations....but I'm tempted.(Please, only if you believe in God)

I believe in God. I have a relationship with God. I have had some things happen lately where I am feeling I need spritual protection. I have stayed away from organized religion for many years for several reasons. I don't like cliques, I don't like over the top stuff, showboating, worried I'd have to change everything I do, or I wouldn't agree with everything said or done, and fear of alienation, and confused as to who really holds the truth, there are many more as well. Well, I started this new job, and everyone there seems to really have something in their life that's different. A good different. They all go to the same church, but they don't rub it in, or force me to go, or even asked me to go. I got a flyer in the mail for their church that seemed even more interesting. It is a Christian church. I can't believe I'm considering going. I'm just curious. Should I just give in and try it? I always feel so uncomfortable at church....

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I like how you said that you see something "good different" in your co-workers. That's how it's supposed to be. Our lives are supposed to be like windows that the light of God shines through and like a mirror that reflects his love. I know how sappy that sounds! haha. But it's the truth. Unfortunately, that's not always the case. What you said about community, friendship, and support are right on the money, too. I don't know what I would do without my church family. I love them dearly. I especially need that now with a son in the Marines.
    I say...go, give it a try. As you said, they haven't been like a pushy salesman to you trying to get you to come; so if you go and don't like it, I'm sure they're not going to be pushy about trying to get you to come back. Good luck, sis.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:52 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I would try it. I had a very bad experience at one church and vowed never again, but my friend invited me to her church. I went and I liked it. It was different from most churches. I don't go every week but I try to go at least 1-2 times a month.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• believe in what you BELIEVE in , ---explore , see , listen to , read , etc.. other things , then walk away with what ever means something to you and leave the rest , you dont have to be so concrete , and black and whiteish , and all or nothingish , just be who you are.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Most definitely. More than anything though, ask Heavenly Father if it's what HE would have you do. Rely on Him to help you with a decision.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 1:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Nothing wrong with giving it a try, especially if you are feeling drawn to it. There may be a reason for that (the feelings) and there is something at that church that you need.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• ah..just go. what could it hurt?? (as of this answer, i have 6666 credits til my next level....hmmm?) lol!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• It wouldn't hurt anything to try it, I would love to find a church where I enjoyed going. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• You can always try it, and if you don't like it, you don't have to go back.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I think you should try it, you might be surprised at how much you like it, and if you don't like it, well thats not a big deal either...but you'll never know if you don't try =) Good luck mama
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Try it! Not all Churches are the same, even ones that say they are the same denomination. If you don't like it dont go again.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 1:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2011