Hives won't go away

My daughter got a virus a few months ago and started developing hives. Since then, she's gotten better but the only thing that remains are the hives. She only gets them in the morning after she wakes up. We use baby detergent...we switched her to soy formula (per docs request)...benadryl (makes them go away but I can't just keep giving that to her every day forever can I??)... claritan (sp)....

Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what dr. say
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Call the Dr. or for the weekend ... continue to use the benedryl. Do u have any animals??? could be a stuffed animal, something she is drinking or eat at night..... (it really could be something that she may be allergic to) like me up until I was 17, I ate the crap out of shrimp. one night I ate 2 baskets of it... next morning woke up swollen allllll over, couldnt get enough air, etc... er game me a shot said I was allergic to something. next wkend... same thing. bam. hit me during the night worse. it ended up being the shrimp that had never affected me before... now if I even eat 2 pieces... I start itching, throat gets tighter and this is still 20 yrs later

Call the pharmacy speak with them.... then get her in to the DR. could be allergies. or an allergic reaction. take care
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Maybe she's allergic to the benadryl, or the claritin - if the benadryl has color in it, it could be that. Could be the soy too. Also get rid of the "baby detergent" - if it's Dreft, that's one of the harshest "detergents" on the market - use something that's free & clear. Could even be what her clothes are made of. Oh - and I thought claritin was for 2 years and older - I'd be leary about giving it to a baby!
    Anonymous

• The claritin was prescribed by her doctor.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• You should see the doctor again.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• get an allergy test
    mrs.trial

Answer by mrs.trial at 6:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I would ask the pedi for a referral to an allergist.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2011