First Amendment ****edited with corrected info*** adult content

Supreme Court says we have the right to protest military funerals, it falls under the First Amendment.

WHAT A SLAP IN THE FUCKING FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grrrrrrr! This pisses me off.

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The US Supreme Court has ruled that you have the right under the First Amendment to protest military funerals. I invite you to come protest in my front yard and we can see if your First Amendment is better than my Second Amendment.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I also think it is wrong!

But we can not shout out fire in a theater and scare people?

I think it would be the same.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Um, wow. Where to start with that one. They didn't change the first amendment. They didn't say go out and protest funerals. They struck down laws that were written too broadly and in violation of the first amendment. They upheld laws in other states that were not too broad and DO ban the funeral protests. The lawsuit went in favor of WBC because the family sued them over a protest that happened before a law (struck down or standing) was ever written. You can not prosecute someone for doing something last year that wasn't against the law until yesterday. The error is in the states who tried to push too far with their anti-protest laws. If they pattern them after the many states who DO have them and HAVE survived SCOTUS challenge, they can get theirs passed too, and eventually WBC will be shut down.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I agree with NP!!! First Amendment was not changed....

Answer by older at 1:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• It does seem a bit ironic- for lack of a better word, that the soilders are fighting & giving up life & limb for our freedoms, only to be slapped in the face by moronic protestors at their funerals. I hope anti- Westboro groups form & start to follow them wherever they slither off to, in order to block them out. What kind of church teaches this anyway? Certainly no church I'd ever want to be associated with!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I still do not understand why people want to do this? Are they protesting the army/military? Why are they doing it?

Answer by louise2 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• SCOTUS didn't 'put' it in the 1st Amendment. To change an Amendment to the Constitution, 2/3's of the states have to agree. SCOTUS said that, though the 'church' was pushing the limits of decency, they are operating under the protection of the 1st Amendment.

WALLACE: And hello again from Fox News in Washington. The Supreme Court ruled this week that no matter how hateful, speech in public places on public issues is protected by the Constitution.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-news-sunday/transcript/westboro-baptist-church-leader-talks-supreme-court-ruling-sen-durbin-rep-hensarling-budge#ixzz1GPaI4NAA

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• OP - Do you feel teenagers should be arrested for congregating on the sidewalk within a half mile of a cemetery where a military funeral is taking place, even if they can't see it or know it's there? THAT is what the struck down laws would do, and that is why they were struck down, not because people want anyone protesting funerals. NOBODY wants them protesting funerals. Don't blame the SCOTUS for upholding YOUR rights, blame the lawmakers who couldn't write a legal law to keep them out. Others have done it, and you are still lying by saying the SCOTUS protects the funeral protests. They don't, they oppose laws that are too broad and over-reaching.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• NP: all these newbies on today posting this stuff. Stinky pot stirrers - the whole lot of them it does seem.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

I never did understand that. It's like walking into a room full of people you don't know and spouting off dirty jokes before you bother to find out who they are or why they're there, then acting surprised when nobody likes you. Seems to happen a lot lately.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2011