my son has had a rash or hives for 5 months now what do i do

we have been going to doctor after doctor for this and nobody know what or how to deal with it. to me it looks like a bug bite first then it itches bad he digs at it then it get real red and blochey kinds looks like hives and they itch so bad he has no relief i've tried everything different soaps both laundry and bath all kinds of itch creams now the doctors have him on allerga and it's help a little but he still has the bite thing there and it still itches what can i do does anyone have any comments on this thanks so much for reading

SNOOKERDOODLE

Asked by SNOOKERDOODLE at 3:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Sounds like your Son might be allergic to something. My Son becomes a walking hive when he comes in contact with Red Dye internally or externally. If I were you I would take something out of his diet to see if the reaction lessens, such as dairy. Is he lactose intolerant? How about red dye, any in his juice? Possibly laundry detergent or bath soap? There are lots of causes for hives including Stress. My Son hasn't had the hives for more than a year b/c he doesn't go near red dye even in school. They know NO RED paint, markers, etc. Good Luck!
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Take a look at the National Eczema Association site (easeeczema.org) they publish a list of ingredients to avoid as potential eczema triggers. Another site is called exederm they have tables that let you compare the ingredients of well know brands of childrens skincare products.

Heyho

Answer by Heyho at 7:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I was also wondering about dairy products and dyes.. things like that may be the culprit. You could try a different diet consisting of fresh produce, whole grains, etc. Some people swear by it. I would also check out completely natural soaps and laundry detergents like Dr. Bronners and things like that. You can buy "natural" products in the grocery store but very few are actually natural. Here is a good site to find out if a product has ingredients that can irritate the skin. http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1
    sjanel

Answer by sjanel at 8:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Have you had allergy tests done? When we had my son's done all they did was drawl a vile of blood and did all the testing from that, no more little pricks on the back to test for everything.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My son has a nut allergy. The rash starts out looking like a fire ant bite or chicken pox but without the blisters. It proceeds to spread and connect. Besides taking Zirtec or Benedryl orally, the doctor told me to buy Cortisone and rub it on the rash. It helps with the itching.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• You will need to go to an allergist to have the proper testing done. Have you tried benedryl when he starts to break out? We just figured out that my sons breaks out in hives on his face when he has aspartamine
    Anonymous