Is there something wrong with having a 9+ lb baby?

We switched insurance companies and had to take an online questionnare assessing our health risks. One of the questions was if I had ever delivered a baby that weighed 9 lbs or more. I did a brief internet search and can't figure out why this would be a concern. Yeah I had a baby over 9 lbs, he was also 2 weeks overdue. I also had a 7.5 lb baby who was 2 weeks early, had he decided to stay in the womb as long he would have been 9 lbs too, and if my 9 lb baby would have come just a few days earlier he would have been in the 8 lb range. So what difference does it make?

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No, there is nothing wrong with a 9 pound baby.
    I worked for a news paper (they had every single paper they printed from the beginning which was 1872 on up to present) and I was reading about woman giving birth to 10 pound babies way before fast food and all the junk. It's a normal healthy weight that they found to use to make money off of by classifying it as a high risk.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• In reality? NO. They assess it as a "risk" so they can convince you to let them cut you, everyone makes more money that way. Its sick.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:35 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• The insurance company is trying to trick you into giving them a "pre-existing" condition, for which they won't have to cover you for in the future. Talk to the person who is selling you the insurance, and they'll guide you through the answers that the company is looking for!
    Anonymous

• 9 lb babies aren't a risk unless you are too small to give birth to them. that's where the problem starts. my little brother weighed 11 lbs when he was born. it's not such a big deal, people just like to make it that way.
    it annoys me when I hear of people having 6 lbs babies or smaller, and they don't consider them premies.. but I guess that's what happens when people don't like waiting lol
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I had a ten pound baby there was nothing wrong with him.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Because bigger babies can sometimes damage yourself if you were to small to have pushed him out vaginally i think. I had actually hurd of this but can't really remember why it seems a health risk or anything. I think its not a big deal to have a 9+ lb. baby. I think if the woman can do that they deserve a lot of respect thats a lott of baby for any momma to push out.
    JordonMichelle

Answer by JordonMichelle at 1:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Having babies that big CAN signify that you are prone to be diabetic. It's not a gospel truth, just that it happens a lot.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 1:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• im not sure, i had a 10 pound baby that was 3 weeks overdue. one of her sisters was 2 weeks early and weighed 6 pounds, the other a week early and weighed 8 pounds. the only thing wrong was that i stopped dilating at 8cm during labor so i had to be cut. i suppose had she been a couple pounds smaller i may have been able to have her vaginally. there are risks associated with bigger babies, but it doesn't apply to everyone and i dont think it should make a difference when having a baby, no matter the size, carries risks.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• They ask because having gestational diabetes usually means having a bigger baby, and there are risks along with all of that. I did not have GD and I had 2 babies over 9 lbs, 2 over 8.5 lbs. I ahve to answer the same question for any new medical thing, and it's annoying - but it's really nothing to worry about.
    Anonymous

• i don't think its an issue, maybe they are hinting around GD?
    asil

Answer by asil at 3:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2011