Is it true that hurting children can help disciplined them? .

I remember when I was a child my father always beating me coz he said this is the way he wants to disciplined his children and I hated him for that!

momijing

Asked by momijing at 2:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Of course it's not true that *hurting* your children can help discipline them...that doesn't even make sense lol :D
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:09 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Its only right to hit your child while disciplining them if they know what youare hitting them for. My mom would just beat me and beat me and I hardly ever knew why. Every situation should get a free pass. That;s why you should teach your child right from wrong and hope that you don't have to hit them later. Hurting your child is wrong, I've been there as a child. No fun at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• "Its only right to hit your child while disciplining them if they know what you are hitting them for."

I think you are highly mixing up the terms "Spanking" and "hitting". My son is spanked here and there when all other discipline options are exhausted, however I would NEVER *beat* my child.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:20 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• is this even a real question? if so, beating a child is illegal. slapping htem on the butt wiht your open hadn is called spanking. what's the difference? open handed slapping hurts your hand too so you know hwen to stop.
    please, try to seek therapy.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 10:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Hurting them only makes them fearful of being caught.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• There is a difference between punishment and discipline. Discipline teaches a lesson. Punishment just hurts. Many child get bruised spirits not to mention bodies by punishment and they don't know many times what they did to deserve it. They learned nothing but that person they trusted and adored just harmed them and they can't take it back. Damage was done. It's a bully mentality (imo) and that cycle will be perpetuated unless it's stopped. Teach our children well, but love them and nurture them. Hurting them teaches them nothing but fear and that when they are upset they can hurt someone else. Not a healthy lesson for such sweet spirits that are expected to grow up and be effective parents in their day. Break the cycle.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Don't let your fathers words get to you. Beating a child for any reason is wrong. Look how it made you feel about him.... My older kids got swats on the hands or behind when they were younger, and I smacked my (almost) 1 yr olds fingers just today for the very first time. He was playing with an electrical outlet. I haven't had to spank the older ones in years, though.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 4:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Disaplining and beating are two different things.When im really angry with my childern, i give myself a time out first, then deal with them.Using my hand hurts , but I do spank when its absolutlliy necissary. i never have left a mark and never will. Sometime timeout ,or talking doesnt work. IT all depends on the terms also. My youngest is 6, so I havent spanked in awhile. But heres an idea for some parents. Kids HATES standing still. I have my 3 boys stand in a square like a soldier. they hate it. but it workds .
    diamantina

Answer by diamantina at 2:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• well your dads wrong just as all the other parents who hit their kids... hitting your children teaches them to hit... thats it.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• That is the problem with some parents these days. No discipline, or continually disciplining them in a corner. It does not work. I spank, and will continue. I got the belt, and will give the belt when it is deserved. Children today run all over adults, and have no respect. This generation sucks, and has got to change. My daughter threatens to call CPS all the time, and I tell her go ahead, and good luck. She is given chores, and time limits on the phone and watching t.v. Too many kids are stuck in front of the t.v. or playing video games all day. The parenting today has to change!!
    Anonymous