Any moms here who has a child/children on a Gluten Free/Casein diet because they have a ADHD/Auditory processing disorder?

Any of these books good? I guess the basic of a Gluten free diet is to buy products that say Gluten free but most things are made in a facility with wheat. Now, that's hard to buy. I shop at Trader Joes and a few local produce markets from my city. They both sell organic/natural and gluten free products. My DD is very used to eating Hamburgers with mayo, tomatoes, lettuce, wheat bread. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The breads we buy are sometimes cheap stuff because we don't make too much money. Sometimes i do buy the organic stuff. She likes salads, vegetables, fruits, orange juice. how do i break it down to her she has to eat diff now? My oldest dd, me, baby and daddy will not be eating like her? Also please look at my link or send urs for a good cookbook for kids on a gluten free diet
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=gluten+free+diet+for+kids&tag=googhydr-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=7588905209&ref=pd_sl_2gc6a7nsiw_e

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Kids' Health

• It's easier for the whole family to switch. It really would be unfair to tell her "you can't have this, but I'm going to eat it right here in front of you!" We went to GFCF for a year when my boys were younger, but we didn't see any difference in my son's autism so we stopped - it's difficult and expensive. That was 10 years ago, there are so many GF products out now it should be a whole lot easier!

Answer by missanc at 1:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Oh wow! My downstairs neighbor is on a GFCF diet in her house. I'll ask her for links and info. Bob's Red Mill has a whole line of Gluten Free mixes and stuff you can make.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I've started switching over, so I'm new at this. I was going to go on a big shopping spree when I got my income tax refund, but that's been delayed. I'm personally not going to switch us all over, because we each have our own dietary needs and most times DS doesn't eat the same thing that DH and I eat anyway.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Um we are not all going to switch, thats not fair to us. My husband is not going to stop eating his gross mcds once in a while and eating bacon. Its his body, he controls it i dont even if i wanted to make him eat healthier i cant. I eat healthy and so does all my kids but to have all of us switch to a Gluten free diet because of her is wrong to me. Im still nursing and still want to eat all the great foods i can eat. Anyways
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Thank you Thatgirl70. thats what im saying about the switching over
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My youngest ds is gf and almost cf...do u have an eat n park near you...they sell great frozen buns that my ds likes...its very very difficult to have just one kid on it...I have to have the other one hide if he is eating something his brother can't have....like donuts...however its getting easier the more products I find...I just found gf/cf donuts and that solved that problem...but there r so many other challenges with the diet...I went gf/cf for the first year he was on it...it was easier to understand what he was going through since I was doing it too. Best luck to u...and your little one!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Wow, It is not 'unfair' to have the whole family on a specific diet to meet one child's needs. In fact that is MORE fair than the other kids eating food one can't have in front of them. I would put the whole family on the diet then when every you go out with one child alone you can reward them with something they like to eat that isn't GFCF. How awful to keep feeding your other kids stuff I am sure your other child likes as well in front of them...
    Anonymous

• Nothing like signalling your daughter out for being different. WOW!! If my son had to be on a special diet for ANY reason, I would do it with him. How mean her own family is. Just, WOW!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Its not mean lol get over it u pansies.. Im not going to be on a gluten free diet like her. i eat healthy, i do eat gluten free products and my husband would never cut out certain foods he likes. hes a grown ass man and individual. he can make his own diet if he wants. I am not going to physically force someone to go on a diet they cant go on. Nobody in the house eats dairy, my husband does not like tomatos and artichokes but do i force him to eat it? Give me a break. yes she wants to eat things she cant have but im not going to give her things she cant have, she has to eat certain foods. My oldest does not like oatmeal and im not going to MAKE HER Eat it but i am for sure going to make my 4 year old eat gluten free because its MESSING with her behavior
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It's easier to make meals from whole foods. Go back to the basics: meat, fruit, veggies, nuts & seeds. Buying things that are gluten free are expensive. Cooking from scratch is cheaper. I make large batches and freeze or can the extras for quick meals later.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:44 AM on Mar. 14, 2011