What does it mean when a guy tells me this?

This guy i been hanging w, who i know can be trusted to keep his word, told me he doesnt wanna put bf/gf labels on our relationship but thts he's only seeing me and he hopes im only seeing him. He's a sweet, honest, caring guy who has been burned (cont)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• He's keeping his options open. If it's still new I'd go with it, but if it goes on very long then looks like he's just using you til he finds what he wants.
    Anonymous

• If a guy said that to me. I would back off and tell him I guess we are just friends then.

Answer by louise2 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• honestly the second i hear that, I would tell him if we arent putting labels on it then I'm free to date whoever I want. That I have no problem keeping it casual but I'm not going to have a commitment to someone who doesnt have a commitment to me. Then I'd keep dating him for a bit but make sure I was dating other people too so I wasn't wasting my time on just one guy who might be messing with my head.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 1:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I would make sure he knows that's a two way street. Unless there is a ring on your finger, there are no commitments. That's the way I see it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• He's not quite ready for a committed relationship. He seems to be keeping his options open just in case things don't work out between the two of you. A relationship that is worth working for is a relationship worth keeping. Who knows where it could lead given the best chance. But don't just wait around for him to decide if you are special enough to commit to. Your heart is not a ball that he can just bounce around and then walk away from. Do what's best for you and if that means giving him an ultimatum then do it.

gailpen

Answer by gailpen at 2:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• On one hand I understand the people who see it as well if the feelings are there what difference does the title make. But I think it makes a big difference in terms of how people view your relationship. The two of you may know what you have but the title is for others to know what the two of you have. I think it's great if the two of you are secure enough that you don't care what others think but other people may have a hard time knowing how exactly to handle what you have. Example. Other men or women interested in one of you may feel that it is ok to pursue because your not bf/gf. It's going to take a lot of open explaining the situation to people to get them to know that your exclusive and just using the terms bf/gf saves a lot of that headache.

kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 3:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I wouldn't let that go on very long. It sounds like he wants to be able to do whatever he wants, honestly. If it dragged on for very long, I'd have to let go, because then it would mean that he just doesn't want to be with you, but he doesn't want to be alone, either.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Maybe.. "He's just not that into you?" Just be careful, He can't blame you for his past, everyone has a "past" and everyone has to get past it. Watch your heart, tread carefully and just don't hold on forever. He will learn to trust you or not, but don't give him forever.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• badly in the past and i think this means he likes me and wants to be w me but isnt 100% sure yet, what do u gals think?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• If I thought he was worth it, I might hang a little longer to see where it goes. If he keeps telling you that, tho, I would back off and look elsewhere.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 1:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2011