Killing bees?

I have this holly bush outside my house loaded with bees. I am scared to let my ds go outside and play. Do any one know how to get rid of them? I can't even go 4ft near the bush.

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I had great luck in getting rid of hornets by putting numerous 5 gallon buckets of water all around our trees. Fill each bucket about 2/3 full of water and put in about 1/4 cup dish soap. The bees are attracted to the sweet smell of the soap and swoop down to check it out. And when the soap gets on them, they can't lift out of the water.

It'll take a few days, but it's a lot cheaper than an exterminator!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• why not just call an exterminator? i dont think spraying would effectively kill them all.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I had some in the porch wall at my old house, and the exterminator wouldn't touch them. I had to call a beekeeper to remove the bees and the nest. If they are hanging out on a bush near your home, their nest is probably somewhere nearby. I really wouldn't suggest trying to do this yourself. I thought we had about 100 bees, and it turned out there were thousands.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• If it's a swarm, they will likely move on within a day or so. This is the time of year when young queens head out to start a new hive. Keep an eye on them, but most likely they will be gone by tonight.

If you live in an area known for the africanized bees, that's a different problem. That would have me calling in a professional without any debate. If you can't find anything in the phone book, contact your county extention agent (google "your county" county extention). Someone there will be able to give you both bee keepers' names as well as a number to call if you are concerned about the african bees.

I'm violently allergic to them, but I try not to chase any off because I need them for the garden. I'd have hives for honey if it weren't for the allergies. In any case, good luck!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2011