How to discipline my almost 5 year old?

so i used to spank but i dont wanna do that anymore...we put her in a room that we call the naughty room lol but lately that hasnt been workin she likes to pull my hair hit me call me names n only me she never does it to him...she also hits yells n bosses her lil brother around they r 2 years apart but we still punish them the same dont treat any of the different so i dunno whats going on. shes super nice to her 4 month old sister also so daddy n lil sister get the nice side n me n jr get treated bad :( what else can i do to show her thats not acceptable?

mommyof3_21

Asked by mommyof3_21 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 4-5 mins in time out. it may take a few days of this but it does work. She sounds like the dominate one of the kids... for now anyways. lol. have you tried taking some of her favorite toys away from her for the day or 1/2 a day until she can earn them back??

all the while explaining to her she cannot act this way. Maybe giving her some small chores to do to "help you" since she is a big girl like drying some silver wear, or gathering the clothes and helping put them into the washer and dryer. * she could just be alittle bored and needs more simulations to help mommy instead of trying to man handle younger siblings...lol. Good luck momma
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 2:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Take away what she likes to play with. Don't allow any parties, playdates, anything she enjoys. And always tell her until she starts behaving she will not be allowed to do any of those things. At 5 years old she should come around pretty quickly.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Along with consequences like taking away THE most important thing as punishment you might try a kindness chart. My niece has one in her home. The kids have to do the things on the chart and they get points or stickers for doing them. After a week or so they get a day out to the park, go out for ice cream, have a special meal, go to a museum, etc. It has worked wonders for them.

And make sure she is getting enough one on one time with you and your SO. Lots of times they go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. Plus prasie when she does things right. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• OUr therapist had us start a new prgram. Instead of timeouts we are using points. He starts the day with 5 points and as the day goes on if he loses them for hitting, not listening,being fresh ect he loses his fav activity,which for him is his 30 minutes of computer or scooter time before bed. He gets 2 warnings for a misbehavior then loses a point. Its been 2 weeks since we started and it was rough in the begining but its actully working really well.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2011