Still think nuclear power is an awesome idea? adult content

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-03-11/world/japan.nuclear_1_nuclear-reactors-nuclear-plants-tokyo-electric-power?_s=PM:WORLD

Official: 2 Japanese plants struggling to cool radioactive material

Reactors at two Japanese power plants can no longer cool radioactive substances, a government official said Saturday, adding that a small leak had been detected at one of the facilities.

Atomic material has seeped out of one of the Fukushima Daiichi plant's five nuclear reactors, about 160 miles (260 kilometers) north of Tokyo, said Kazuo Kodama, a spokesman for Japan's nuclear regulatory agency.

Potentially dangerous problems in cooling radioactive material appear to have cropped up there, as well as at another of the Tokyo Electric Power Co. nuclear plants, Ichiro Fujisaki, Japan's ambassador to the United States, confirmed to CNN.

The Fukushima Daini and Fukushima Daiichi power plants are separate facilities located in different towns in northeastern Japan's Fukushima prefecture. Each one has its own set of individual nuclear reactors.

Kodama said the cooling system had failed at three of the four such units of the Daini plant.

The article is much longer than that - more at the link above.

This is just one issue - there are fault lines across the entire planet, and no such thing as an earthquake free zone.  They may be more rare in some places, but the plates are always shifting, and even the largest plates can have a tremor felt in the center if the snap is hard enough.  It's not even addressing the issues of where to dispose of the waste that remains toxic longer than civilizations survive.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope, never did. I was a kid but remember 3 mile island and Chernobyl.

Hemp, baby = )

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Yep, there is risk in everything.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I agree with you NP, that there are unintended consequences(uc). There are uc with most anything when it is man vs nature. Should we? Especially, along the pacific 'ring of fir'e coastlines? Probably not a great idea. Approx 20% of the power in the US comes from Nuclear... Which energy source would you like to see replace?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Crap. What's wrong with worm composting?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I posted about this yesterday and was called a fear monger

No. You wanted to JUMP to CONCLUSIONS and question if this is the next Chernobyl.. If you wanted to discuss the future of Nuclear Power in the aftermath of this Earthquake/Tsunami, then you should have asked that question...  You really don't "get it", do you?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• There are several factors that have failed in aftermath of this quake. As with any advancement in technology, engineers will work harder to make it better. Nature vs Man? Nature usually has the upper hand. There are very few alternative energy sources that can provide as much energy in the amount of time and to the degree most humans have become accustom to...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I heard a discussion this morning that this still isn't as bad as Three Mile Island. I know it is the situation is fluid and continues to change. I hope they can get it under control. As a source of power, it is awesome. When there is a problem, the problem is never seems small.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• This is why I think we need more natural power methods. Living so close to TMI nuclear power scares me. Water, wind, etc. We need to use more of them.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I've never thought it was a good idea.

We even have small earthquakes here in TN on occasion. Over the past few years, there have been a couple strong enough to actually feel them in my area, but western TN probably has them more.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Yes I do but building then in areas prone to earthquakes and flooding is not a good idea .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2011