HELP! Spaz 5 year old boxer, baby on the way....

Ok, my boxer is 5 years old, female, fixed....she is decent with commands - sit and laydown; however, my fiancee and I are about to have a baby and I am tired of her still acting like an idiot. I (and only I) yell at her for the following EVEYDAY and cannot take it anymore....She begs - then starts to drool, jumps on guests, has busted the door down over the mailman/pizza man (including plowing me over to just go out), a CRAZY spaz and extremely clumsy...what doesn't help is my fiancee BABIES the heck outa her and gets mad at me for always scolding her (which I feel I shouldn't HAVE to do anymore) and I believe adds to her not "acting her age"... she gets TONS of attention and exercise which she will be loosing with the baby and afraid she will only get worse....anyone know what I can do with her to FOCUS and RELAX before the baby comes before I loose my mind!!!!!???????

itsaboy1208

Asked by itsaboy1208 at 3:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Pets

• You need to have a serious talk with your other half about the behavior issues with this dog. She may be trained for some things but needs a good training mode about manners. It's all about training and being the pack leader! Since you are home with her and dealing with the issues you need to get some help! Hire a proffesional dog trainer to come to your home and and work on her problems, ie door , mailman and crazy times. HaVING A CRATE TO DISPELL BAD BEHAVIOR might not be such a bad idea, till you can get a handle on things. Trying to teach you here on line would take a video. So research the libery or on line to help get you started. There is help out there. I used to raise Boxers and show them, they can be a handful, but very good dogs when trained, so good luck! And God Bless...
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Check out Cesar Millan's books and videos at the library. There is a difference between training--sit, stay, and such--and having the respect that is needed to control the whole dog. Once you are around or raise a well mannered dog--like a child--you would not tolerate such behavior:-) I agree with the first post--get some help and realize this is not "normal" behavior" but very bad manners. Raising a dog takes a lot of patience and consistency--just like raising a child. Just that you can put the dog in a crate or outside when you have had enough:-) I have raised both well mannered dogs and kids---and they are all a pleasure to have around and none jump on the company:-)

Anonymous

• you need to get her trained. they are smart dogs and trainable but your yelling only gets her excited. watch " it's me or the dog" on animal planet. i have used all her training tips to train our dogs. i have a boxer too but i love my standard poodle. she is much smarter then the boxer and not as hyper. thats the boxer breed for you.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I took my dog to obedience school. It helps tremendously. They will teach you how to get her to quit jumping with "paws off" and mauling you over.
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 3:26 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I am a boxer bredder and I do not think you should be yelling at the dog it's not going to help.You need to take your boxer to get professionally trained .We have trained our four boxers ourselves.They are very smart and obediant dogs if trained right.Tell your fiancee to spend the money to train her.please take care of her .I have three kids and my dogs are perfect and would never do that.Take care of her.
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Boxers are known for being "puppy like" for a very long time, some of them never grow out of it. Boxers are very energetic and excitable dogs. If you can take her to a dog trainer, that would be a great help to you. Boxers are great dogs, and make great pets but they have to be trained to obey (as does any dog). Scolding her by shouting isn't going to help, just as it doesn't help when you shout at a child.
    We always had Boxers growing up, and they make wonderful family pets. Good luck
    Anonymous