Did you know

that theres a federal law that states that a man's first wife is to receive all his benefits when he dies? it gets split between her and all his biological children.

how messed up is that? yet IF he has a new wife she gets all his debt..how is that fair?

SweetPoison

Asked by SweetPoison at 3:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Just for Fun

• So... what you're saying is that one should always marry a man that has never been married before??? LOL! So, I get two! YEAH... I like it!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:42 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I can honestly say I did not know that. Its an interesting law. I would think that the current wife would get his benefits.
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I don't think that's true! What if they have kids together? She would definately get something, if she has his ring and last name!
    PrincessStacy

Answer by PrincessStacy at 3:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• i didnt know that either however i dont beleive in geting a divorce.. i guess i cant really say anything much because im not married....
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Well I guess you should think twice about marrying a divorced man :)
    rachelv817

Answer by rachelv817 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Really? So if my husband dies his first wife, even though remarried now for more than 20 years, is entitled to what? What about his second wife and the now grown child they had during that marriage. What are they entitled to? And now there's me. I guess I won't be getting anything, how depressing.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I honestly would check with your state laws concerning this.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• The law is in place unless you 'pay her off' in the divorce. That is what my BIL did. He, in essence, bought her out. Now, she gets nothing at his death. He has his will, which takes precedence, that his current wife gets some, the kids get some, the grandkids get some, but the ex gets nothing. The law in NC doesn't put the children over the spouse unless there is no re-written will that puts her in it. The 'as the law allows' is if there is no will, but the spouse is first on the list.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• oh wow. thats messed up but then again the laws always have twists
    minki111

Answer by minki111 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• reminds me of "redbull gives you wiiiinnnngggss" lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2011