What other choices do I have besides Turkey?

I have only $25 to spend on Thanksgiving dinner...The turkeys at the grocery are at least $18!...What else can I make instead? A good ham is also expensive. Any ideas?
I am feeding 6 and I have the stuffing and sweet potatoes. I just need a meat item, and I still have to buy potatoes, a couple gallons of milk and a dessert.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 3:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Food & Drink

• May I ask what store you shop at?
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 3:42 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• How about Pot Roast or Meatloaf?
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 3:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I meant to say that one year my mom did homemade soup with cornbread. It was awesome and we loved the change!
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 3:52 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I live in a rural area with one grocery. I have to drive 30 miles one way to get anything different.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Oh, okay, I thought if there was a slight chance you shopped at a larger grocery chain and that chain happened to be Krogers Grocery Store then I had great coupons for the holidays I could have mailed off to you. :O(
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 4:13 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Hey that's really sweet of you for wanting to that! Thank you for thinking about it! You made my day with your thoughtfulness!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Your welcome. You know there are groups here at the Cafe that swap coupons. Meaning they send you coupons you can use and when you get some you trade with another person. You never know what you might could find. I wish you the very best. The way I see it is any home made meal is always special.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 4:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Meatloaf or roast isn't really special. I have a beef soup in the crockpot now for dinner tonite.
    Would it be wrong to just have a bunch of appeitizers and munch all day? I like to have thanksgiving and christmas be something we never have. I have the means for deviled eggs, meatballs, I have hot dogs and cresent rolls, I could do the little hotdog rollups.
    I am open to any ideas!!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:42 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• a whole chicken... or if you dont want to cook. a rotisserie chicken. maybe from sam's club.
    Anonymous

• What about a Boston Butt Roast using liquid smoke. Maybe make Thanksgiving this year a barbeque theme. Most children love barbque and I believe the most important thing is making it fun for everyone a new tradition.

msgodrocks

Answer by msgodrocks at 6:35 PM on Nov. 23, 2008