How are your kids rooms organized?

OMG!!! I just had a pysicalblow out on my kids their room is always looking upside down unless I get really upset and MAKE them clean it well little by little I have been getting rid of things without them knowing I feel bad but hey it is overwhelming for me anyway today I told them that before we can do ANYTHIG FUN you have to clean your room really nice well so much for that they still have so much crap I just feel like grabbing a trash bag and donate or throw away I do not care (again) All I remember is screaming and yelling on how they got soooo much crap I am tired of it and for them to do something about it and I left them alone to figure out what to do so here Iam with you ladies just venting away...I just hope they made a difference in their bc I don't know how much I could take of this...:/

Venting....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• If there old enough to clean it up there self why does it matter what it looks like as long as there nothing like left over food and stuff like that in it i mean they have to live in there mess not you!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 3:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I like things neat and tidy as well. Can't make a baby clean his room so I have to do it, but my SS cleans his room. And no matter how long I stand there and tell him how to clean and so on, it still doesn't get clean. So I have to go back and clean it. Yes, I get very mad at him if he doesn't clean correctly, but I've also learned that it won't happen the way I want it unless I do it myself. So I get mad, and then I go clean.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• my kids are 2 and almost 4. a couple weeks ago i grabbed 2 trash bags and threw things away that they don't ever play with and they still have more than enough. how old are they? to be serious, don't buy them anything. on the next holiday/birthday, give 'em a card :) that'll get them cleanin!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Take all the anger out of it and matter of factly tell them nothing fun until the rooms are cleaned. Now, I would let them clean it to their satisfaction, not mine. I didn't worry too much about this when my kids were this age and into their teens. They could not have food in their rooms and they knew no laundry got done unless their clothes were in their hamper. Every once in awhile they got a cleaning "bug" and took care of their rooms (maybe once a month). Seeing that I kept the rest of the house clean rubbed off on them eventually and they took care of their rooms. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I had an issue with my SD that she hated cleaning her room, but I got her her own organization boxes and she is now very into putting certain stuff in the boxes. She has a box for all her barbie stuff as well as boxes for her babydoll stuff. She will mess her room up and sometimes it takes her hours to clean it, but when she does clean it.. its really clean. She has made it her own by putting stuff in certain places. Its funny now bc if kids come over and play and dont put her things back in the right places... she has a fit bc thats not where her things go!! I will say it does take time but after she got the hang of where things goes and where she wants things.. she is very much into it!!!
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I kept it simple for my kids. They have a media room and play room, and 90% of their toys go in there. They are only allowed certain things in their room so it isnt overwhelming for them or me. All they have to do in their room is put their clothes in the hamper, trash in the trash cans, and whatever small toys in their small toy box. Once they are oh say 10-11 they get to use pledge and dust their things & run a vacuum. It just makes life so much easier for ME, more then them. That lets me also control toys in the playroom. I can go in there and go through toys and anything broken they know gets tossed.

Answer by gemgem at 4:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I as so sorry to hear it. But you will have to make the first move. Calim all the way down then you do what benifits you. I would give them two bags and make them fill it with donatable items. Then take them to have the items donated. This will make them think about what their doing. They are so accumstomed to you saying your going to do something and not doing it that they remain doing whatever it is they want. Tough love always work. Believe me I'm going through it also.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 5:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I saw this answer in another post and am absolutely going to use it I thought it was great - She takes a shovel and a trash can and puts them by their door and tells the kids..whatever is left on your floor in 24 will be scooped up and thrown out. She said it works everytime. Wish I could remember her answer verbatim, but I can't. The advice is pretty good I thought.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I know exactly what you are talking about. I just had my monthly blow out with the kids over their rooms. I spent 5 1/2 hours cleaning their rooms with my almost 5yo dd's help (the older kids were at school). I took a bunch of stuff away and now we've been on their case ever second of ever day to keep it clean. I was sick of them saying they had no socks. Why? Because they were shoved in toy bins, under beads and every where but in the sock drawers. They each got new packs of socks for Christmas but couldn't find a single sock. They were going to school without socks for weeks instead of cleaning their room to find them. Not to mention the bags of candy wrappers and garbage I found (they aren't even allowed to have candy) and used pull-ups. It was disgusting. They were also grounded the entire weekend (they are 10, 9 and 8). I also took a bunch of stuff away.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I just have two very big bins where they can put toys, and a big bin for dirty clothes and a smaller one for clothes that they tried on but didn't actually wear. They know that if they want to keep their toys then they had better have them in the bins if they are not playing with them... or they go directly to the goodwill bin- I check once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I couldn't care how the toys are arranged in the bin, as long as they are not on the floor... we do a "family" refolding session before they go to bed to empty out the "tried on but didn't wear bin" for the day. They put their toys away at night so they don't have to get up earlier than I do to clean up or lose the toys... lol!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 11:26 PM on Mar. 15, 2011