How do you get them to do their home without......

My ss is in 6th grade and everyday when I tell him to do his homework. He complanes, sometimes he lies and says he did it, then the school always calls and makes him say after school. I do understand that 6th grade does give you alot more HW then hes use to, but I'm always here to help him if he needs it. Most of the time he doesn't need it. He knows how to do it, he just doesn;t want to do it, even through he knows I'm going to make him anyways. How can I get him to do hid homework without complaning/ and all of it?

Kimberly71682

Asked by Kimberly71682 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I stop nagging and let my son take the natural consequences of not doing his homework. Sometimes, kids just have to learn the hard way. This was advice I received from his teachers, counselor and principal.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• You may not be able to take the complaining out of it. I set up a system with my son's teachers. My son wrote down the assignment in his notebook OR the words "no assignment". Then he had to go to the teacher and get his signature at the end of class. He didn't like it at first but soon was in the swing of it and it only took 2 seconds to see the teacher on his way out of the room. I then could see each night what was expected. And could monitor it. It would also work to get the teacher's signature when the work is handed in.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Well deal with him the way you would deal with your own son. Or you will have to get his other parents involved.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 4:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• He is my own son, His bio mom lives 3000 miles and never calls or sees my son. And his dad/ my dh works all the time. I'm the only parent here with him every day since he was three. He's mine.
    Kimberly71682

Comment by Kimberly71682 (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2011