Why isn't this terrorists religion mentioned?

Federal investigators announced Thursday the arrest of 37-year-old Donny Eugene Mower of Madera for a string of attacks against a Planned Parenthood clinic in Madera, the Madera Islamic Center, the Madera Courthouse and Madera County Sheriff’s Department headquarters.

Mower is an employee with the Chowchilla Union High School District.

His arrest was the result of a coordinated effort by the Madera County Sheriff’s Department, FBI, California Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney’s Office and the Madera Police Department.

Mower is accused of trying to set fire to the Planned Parenthood in Madera using a Molotov cocktail. The building sustained damage and was forced to close for two days.

Mower is also accused of posting signs at the Madera Islamic Center that said, “Wake up America, the enemy is here ANB” which stands for American Nationalist Brotherhood. Mower’s fingerprint was found on one of the cardboard signs.

Similar signs with ANB were placed at the Planned Parenthood clinic, the Madera courthouse and Sheriff’s Office.

"This case sends a strong message and this arrest sends a strong message that hate will not be tolerated in California or this nation," said one man during a press conference outside the Madera Islamic Center, announcing Mower's arrest.

The attacks began last August. Since that time, Mower has been interviewed three times. According to federal documents unsealed this week, he eventually confessed that he was ANB and worked alone. He also confessed to throwing a brick at the Madera Islamic Center and throwing the Molotov cocktail through the Planned Parenthood window. He says the attack on the clinic was because he is against abortion.

"We will stand together, we will stand strong, and we will hunt down and arrest and prosecute suspects involved in these types of crimes," said FBI Special Agent in Charge Herb Brown.

Mower was arrested on an unrelated DUI charge last month, but was released on his own recognizance the next day.

On top of the charges tied to his latest arrest, prosecutors say more charges are possible against him. Mower's next court appearance is scheduled for later this month.

LINK

Friday

Asked by Friday at 4:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Can't Nationalism BE a kind of religion?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I suppose it could be, depends on who you ask. I've just noticed that when it's a Muslim involved their religion is in the headline. That's usually not the case for any other beliefs.

Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Did he say his planned and/or attempted attacks were in the name of a religion? I think that is the thing. So many of the jihadist let you know they are doing their deeds for their religion (at least in their mind they are). Has he made that fact known. If he has, then the connection could be made. If he hasn't, then you can make it so just because you want it to be so.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I don't want anything but real reporting which appears to be dead in this country.

Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I think, in this case, it probably is.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• How can it be a brotherhood if there is only one?
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Maybe he's schizo? Or just very optimistic about recruiting.

Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Being against abortion is not necessarily tied to a religion. I am not a religious person and I am against it with few exceptions. Not planning to bomb any abortion clinics though.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Or just very optimistic about recruiting

Ok, now, that's funny.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Friday: when I say 'you', I'm talking about the plural. I'm going to have to stop doing that. I need to say 'people'. Sorry about that.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2011