Riding with the top down with a child...

At what age is it OK to ride around in a convertible?
Are there conditions that is OK for different ages? - Cruising around the neighborhood, or on a beach (20mph), or around town (40mph), highway driving (50-60mph)...

My DH has a convertible PT Cruiser & we have a 4.5yo DD....
This weekend he wanted to ride around with the top down... I thought he was crazy!

Give me your opinions ladies!

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just don't get on high speed highways, it is certainly a lot of fun to cruise in it on a sunny looking day.....

Answer by older at 4:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• i probly would on a regular road, not the highway. some kids may find it cool right away, but then the wind starts hitting them and they don't like it anymore. does he complain when you have all the windows open in your car? decide from there. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Id be really nervous for some reason! I think maybe bc it's all open etc. But at a normal speed down the street lol I'd say that would make me the most comfortable til my daughter was older.
    ashleyxo8

Answer by ashleyxo8 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I'd say stick to low/normal speeds and no highways.. otherwise all that air hitting her face will probably scare her and make her uncomfortable.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 4:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• the air doesnt bother her at all.. and u can put windows up & keep top down to stop 80% of the wind...
    MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My kids were riding in convertibles before the could walk. I think if your dh is a good driver then it should not be a concern.

Answer by gemgem at 5:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• thank you ladies! I guess i will try to relax a little! LOL...
    I guess its hard because I have an uncle that is in a wheelchair & has no use of his arms from wrecking in a convertible!
    MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2011