Please tell me I'm not the only one...

I am 7 weeks pregnant. My doc ordered a vaginal ultrasound for Tuesday. I have had some spotting. Doc says it is from outside of the cervix. She said no sex until the 2nd trimester. My question is, has anyone had a vaginal ultrasound? And why? What are they looking for? I'm so nervous and scared...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes, I have had it. It is slightly uncomfortable due to having a full bladder. They were looking at my ovaries. He may suspect an incompetent cervix. Follow his orders until the U/S.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 3:48 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• That is normal. In the first 2-3 months they always do a vaginal ultrasound. didnt hear anything else yet. the baby is too small and too far deep in the belly thats its easier to see everything through the vaginal ultrasound. ;)

so, there is nothing to worry. So yes the only thing they are looking for is the baby. lol
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Is this your first ultrasound? At seven weeks, I believe it is too soon to use an abdominal ultrasound to properly view the baby. I had a vaginal ultrasound to confirm all three of my pregnancies.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Almost everyone has a vaginal ultrasound (or internal ultrasound is what they call it) when they're at the beginning of their pregnancies. I had one when I was ten weeks. It's just easier to see the baby and everything with the internal monitor thing they use. It's not embarrassing or weird at all, the u/s tech knows exactly what they're doing. They'll do external (on your belly, like you see in the movies) ultrasounds when you're further along. When you're in the second trimester, the baby will be big enough for the u/s machine to pick up.

You're not weird or anything =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Also, the uterus doesn't grow above your pubic bone until about 12 weeks, I think that's another reason they do internal ultrasounds in the first trimester...maybe the machine can't see through bone or something, I dunno.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• The PPs are right...don't freak out about it being a vaginal ultrasound...it is just because it is too early in your pregnancy to get a good look with the abdominal ultrasound. You can bleed for any number of reasons, so follow doctor's orders and get a lot of rest.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I had one at around 20 weeks I think and did have some spotting the next day. I went in and got checked out and everything was fine.
    K_Coleman

Answer by K_Coleman at 4:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• IVE had many....with this little bean,

Started around 4 weeks from spotting until the 10th week so around 6-vaginal U.S

they dont hurt ....
    Anonymous

• When its that early, the only way they can do it is vaginal.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 4:49 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• What everyone else said. If you're only 7 weeks, they can't really see the baby with the outside ultrasound.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2008