How young is too young, to start shaving?

My daughter who is 10, is very light-complexioned, and has very dark hair, has become extremely self-conscious about the hair on her legs. I think she should wait a little while longer to begin shaving, but I'm not sure if I'm just being silly. Any advice?

mamabearbloo

Asked by mamabearbloo at 4:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I was in 5th grade so I was about 11. The hair on my legs was kind of dark and the other girls had started shaving periodically so I wanted to. I did it maybe once a month! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My granddaughter who is 10 is already having periods, so it may not be at all too young for your girl to start shaving. I was fair skinned and had dark hair, and my periods started when I was 9. So, even though you don't want her to grow up too soon, it very well may be time. Summer time is coming, too, so that could make it more important.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My daughter is 10 and I let her shave because she is also very self conscious. I know if it were me I would want to be able to shave and I don't see the harm in it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I would use neat on her legs instead of shaving.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 4:42 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• As long as she realizes that it's going to be something she'll consistently have to do and if you are sure she'll be careful with it, let her shave so she feels better about herself. It's a small thing really. I understand why you would want her to wait though.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 4:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I was in 5th grade, around 10. My dd was about the same age. I dont think its too young. You just want to be able show her how to do it safely.

Answer by gemgem at 4:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I think ya'll are right, part of me doesn't want her to grow up, but the other part of me is worried about her maintaining it after she starts. LOL.
    mamabearbloo

Comment by mamabearbloo (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Thanks everybody!
    mamabearbloo

Comment by mamabearbloo (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I am usually the last to say that you should allow something just because everyone else is doing it and you don't want her to feel like an outcast, but I am on her side with this one.

I was probably a lot like your daughter, and you were probably a lot like my mom. I am light complected with dark brown/black hair...and lots of it. My mother didn't let me shave until I was 11 or 12 because it seemed to adult and sexual to her...but believe me, I was NOT thinking about what the boys would think...I was thinking about my sasquach legs and what the kids at school would say about it.

My oldest is blond and I am betting that she wont have as big a problem as I did, but my youngest is a "mini me", and my rule is going to be to allow them to shave as soon as they feel awkward about it as long as I think they can do it safely.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I don't remember age wise how old I was but it was 6th grade. My mom didnt want me to do anything like shave or makeup til I was 15, but I was getting made fun of for my hairy legs, so she was kind enough to let me shave them!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2011