Dad pushing religion?

My DS's father found religion when I was pregnant and started going to church with me. I'm a born and raised Catholic, my son was baptized by my church. I don't go every week because I work on Sunday mornings but his father goes every week (we aren't together). I don't take my 3 year old with me when I go because he won't sit still and I can't keep track of what the priest is saying. Dad thinks this is not good and that my son is missing out on religion (he takes him the weekends he has him). I use the hour to pray and think about my life, not to entertain my son with snacks and juice. I will take him to church when he's older and he will participate in all the sacrements, but for right now I don't see why he needs to be there every week. Is this bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do what works for you and if your DS's dad wants him to go every Sunday then make it HIS responsibility. You can teach your son faith without taking him to church, especially if he doesn't sit still and pay attention anyway. My belief is WE are the church. You don't have to go to the building to be with God. Get some child friendly biblical stories and read those to him on Sundays. Watch a church program on TV. You can watch and not worry about disturbing others around you.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:43 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• The sad thing is that whether we like or don't like what the other parent thinks or wants we still have to respect it because 9 out of 10 they have legal rights to their child and a say so in what goes on. If your BD want's him to go to church every week, maybe he should be willing to pick him up to take him to church for an hour. If he isn't willing to do that then he'll just have to put up with the fact that you don't take your son every week.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Food for thought: As a Christian parents are responsible for setting the example. They are advised by the Bible's own words to raise them up in the truth beginning from infancy - you know, like Timothy. I'm not saying it's "bad" to not take him yourself, but consider the positive effects it will have on your little one. Kuddos to you for using your time wisely.
    Anonymous

• i think the father is just trying to set the example while his son is young. i know what you mean but we still take our daughter every sunday i don't hear much of the sacrament but good thing that after that is over they offer a nursery for baby's my baby's age. so we go to class and it;s nice to get involved with that class. can you recommend to the church offer a nursery for young kids. when she turns 3 she will go into the beehive class and have her own lessons about god and jesus.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• All ages are welcome and encouraged to sit in on all of the "talks" at our church. The little ones learn how to sit and listen without being disruptive. Not easy in the beginnning, but we don't seperate the families - isn't that what's going to church all about? Learning about God's will as a whole, like the Bible encourages. Of course, when babies cry or toddlers get fidgity, they are taken to the restroom or for a walk around the building. We give our son paper and pen - his job is to listen for "key words" and tally them, like "love" or "spirit". Everyone is so kind and understanding of the littles one's temperments - no need to put them in their own room.
    Anonymous

• I personally think it is great that he goes to church and wants to involve yall's son...I wish my ex would go with his boys he won't get out of the strip joints long enough to see what kind of example he has become. SAD - I say start them young ....why don't you take your son to Sat. night mass and sit in the cry room...I can understand that you might not be getting all you need at the time but he wont be a baby for long and you can take him up to get a blessing and you can have comunion.

TalithaStarry

Answer by TalithaStarry at 4:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Don't they have a children's ministry at your church that he can go to?

I don't think dad is pushing religion. If he wants to take him then fine...but you don't have to do anything you don't want to do. You're lucky that's all he's bugging you about. Most men are WAY WORSE.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I'm sorry, but don't you think that it's more important that he is raised with faith than with the idea that church is the only way... The fact that you put more importance on weather or not you and those around you can pay attention is a good thing... If you are only going to church to miss half of what's going on and then having half the people around you miss it to, is it really worth it? Why not take the time that you would be going to church to sit with your some and read him bible stories or teach hime songs or prayer... To me that's really what I would think would be most benafisial in the end anyways... If his father has such an issue tell him he is more than able to come to YOUR church on your sundays and care for your son so that you can both be there...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• The church I attended with my family when I was little had a nursery area and one or two adults (or older children) would supervise what went on during the Sunday service. If there isn't already something like that, maybe through some discussion, the church would let you and other parents rotate watching kids during Sundays in a room that's not used during regular services. They would still be in an environment to learn about your faith and you'd miss a service every two to four weeks, but you'd also have several Sundays were you can pray without distractions.
    Just make sure to come up with an agreement between the parents about how to check in kids, how to decide whose turn it is, and what needs to be dropped off with each kid (diapers, bottles, etc). And see if anybody wants to donate to a box of toys to keep little hands busy.
    redlily08

Answer by redlily08 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Do what you want to.
    Anonymous