If you've bought a Power Wheels in the past, was it worth it?

My husband wants to buy our 4yo and 2 1/2 yo a motorized Jeep or something this year for Christmas. I'm not a huge fan of battery operated toys.. I think simpler toys foster much more creativity and imagination. Not to mention the money involved... $200-$300 is a lot of money for one gift. But he really wants to get them one. I'd rather get them bikes. If you have one for your kid, how often do they use it? Is it worth the money?

Silvertears1275

Asked by Silvertears1275 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Shopping

• My 4 yr has a little 4 wheeler, he got it when he was 2. He uses it for stunts and scares me to no end! lol..gotta love boys!
    So my husband thinks a jeep would be good because they have seat belts. I recomend going to toys-r-us have your kids sit in them so you can find the right one. They are good puchases but the rechargable battery does wear out and they cost alot to replace.
    Also taking them to a toy store you get the idea if they will like it or not. My neice bought her 5 yr old a barbie jeep...scares her to ride in it! But her 3 yr old brother loves it and he doesn't care if it's pink.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I bought one for my oldest when he was 4. He loved it. He's now 7 and his 4 year old brother plays with it. I think its great for fostering imagination. My 4 year old is always out in the backyard pretending he's going on trips and is a mechanic.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• my husband bought my son a 4 wheeler when he turned 2 and he loved it when he could finally ride it. then we bought him another 4 wheeler when he turned 3 he is now almost 5 and still rides them both. we also have the gator power wheel and he loves loading up stuff in the back.the power wheels are a great thing.
    travelingmom321

Answer by travelingmom321 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I think my daughter was too old for it by time we bought one. We spent $50 on a used one and bought a new battery. She drove it like 3x, despite the fact we have an acre of property and live on a dead end street - she could have driven it anywhere she wanted to. She would rather ride her bike.

My girl is on the big side, so she looked a bit big for it.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 5:17 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My boys love theirs! We have the Ford F150 and the Arctic Cat (thanks Gram & Grampa) and in the summer they drive them each day until the batteries wear down and then they re-charge overnight and back we go again! They are 6 & 3. We have the top toys in the neighborhood thanks to these! LOL!
    bagjmama

Answer by bagjmama at 6:20 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• When my son was 3 we got him the little John Deere tractor powerwheel. He LOVED it and rode it around for about 2 years! We got our money's worth outta that thing! My daughter rode her Barbie jeep a lot, too.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 7:08 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My daughter had the barbie jeep and she loved it. Drove it all summer for 3 years. If you don't want to spend all that money, check out your local Craigslist andf post a wanted ad for it. You never know someone may have one they want to get rid of it and you could save yourself hundreds.
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 10:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I bought my son a power wheels four wheeler when he was 2, he is now almost 6 and still uses it whenever he can. He loves the little walkie talkie and act like he is on an adventure, and well as pretending to fix it with the tools that he has. I also have lots of neices and nephews and they look forward to this one specific toy whenever they come over. The batteries are expensive to replace, but if you take good care of them they will last a long time. I have him bring it inside after he is done playing with it, so that it is not affected by the cold, and we are cautious not to drop it. This one battery has lasted us 4 years. It is just now starting to slow down. I think this was well worth the investment.
    prettyeyedmommy

Answer by prettyeyedmommy at 11:11 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• my son has a hand me down one, was his female cousin's barbie jeep, we painted it cammo.... he loves it and drives it around the block picking up various children on the way,,, they all love it, if the weather is seasonable for them to use it year round i would see it as a good buy .. i live in OH and put it away for at least 4 months a year.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My kids got the red mustang one and they like it. We only use it a few times a month but that's because they're 3 and 2 and need our help. I would think that a 4 year old would love it and as long as you see yourself using it then it should be fun. You could always get a bike too.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 7:58 PM on Nov. 25, 2008