I'm so new to dating!!

I've never really dated before... just jumped into relationships (and there have only been two of those since I was 18!)
I've been single for about eight months now, and I THINK I'm ready to start dating. A guy has asked me out, and we're planning something for next week sometime. I am really nervous, and we're both kind of shy, so that makes me even more nervous than I already am.

So does anyone have any advice?
Any "to do's" or "not to do's"?
Any funny stories or horror stories about first dates, or dating in general?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• Just plan to have a good time and go knowing you have no commitment. I always liked that part, because for me worst case scenerio I walked away with a good meal, a movie or whatever and sometimes just a new friend. As for horror stories LOL. Oh I have a few. I had a date with one guy and he was on the heavy side but I dont care about that. All he talked about was how hot I was and how I wasnt into him because he was fat. The more he carried on the more I really wasnt into him. He took me home and kept textng me and telling me what a bitch I was because I dont like over weight people. I finally told him look I dont care how big you are, and you arent that big, but your self esteem sucks thats why I dont want to go back out. That was just one of the milder cases of a "bad date".

Answer by gemgem at 5:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Just don't put a lot of pressure on it. Go out, have a good time, and don't expect anything beyond that. Don't go into it thinking that he might be the one or that you're going to be exclusive or whatever. If you've only been in committed relationships, the biggest thing to remember is don't act like you're in a relationship. It can be easy to act like you've been together forever just because that's what you're used to, but that is definitely not what you want to do.

Just have fun.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Well I am not a dating peron, more of an relationship person. I say ask lots of questions. make sure this is not a secret date, be seen with your date. Have fun and make sure you have seperate money in a secret place on you when you go on dates. Dating can be fun so go have fun.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 5:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I was not much of a dater either....always in a long relationship or now married. I would just be yourself, be aware, don't talk too much about your ex (vice-versa) feel him out see how he treats you.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 7:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Yeah well on my first date with my now current Husband I was nervous too, so we met in a public place "village Inn' had a great breakfast talked, laughed and let our hair down, was very informal so it was easy to relax....then he said something funny and I was in the process of drinking my coffee and at that mement i spit my coffee all over him, me and the table.......what a hoot we laughed and from then on out we talked about everything we wanted to know about each other, it was a 4 hour breakfast and 6 months later we got married.....
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 8:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011