Car rides

My 2 1/2 month old son HATES the car. Sometimes he's ok for a short period of time and then the rest of the time he screams his little head off. Even if it's just a short trip up the road to the store. It breaks my heart to hear him cry, knowing theres nothing i can do for him. I know that his car seat isn't too tight on him. i've tried making him cooler, interact with him, I always sit in the back, toys, windows down.
My husband and I are going to be driving outta state a 5 hr+ drive. I want thisride to be comfortable for him, but I'm not sure how. Please give any suggestions to help my baby boy feel more comfortable in the car.

1stbaby0511

Asked by 1stbaby0511 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if it were me I would consider leaving at a time when he is getting ready to take a nap.  Once he falls asleep he might do better in the car.  Also, if the window is down and blowing in his face he might not like that.  I believe that children this little can not breath well if wind is blowing directly in their faces.  Also, tyring not getting in face to much.  He might just need to be left alone and with you trying to comfort him it might make things worse.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• my son was the same way! he is 11 months and still not a huge fan of the car.. i used to think he was the ONLY baby in the world who didn't get in the car and just fall asleep.. a binky saved me from loosing my mind on long trips..if he takes a binky try that..i would also hang toys from the handles of the car. (idk if you have them, by like the window on the roof i have handles to hold onto..anyways i would clip toys on there and he would like to watch them swing) singing songs also helped keep him calm, and actually my son now loves to have the music blasting he sings along in the back. (2 1/2 months might be too young for blasting music thou) ..GL!
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 6:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• With mine, it made him worse when I sat in the back with him and tried to comfort or play with him. It was much better when I sat up front and sang him a song that he liked, one that I'd sang to the other kids when I was pregnant with him. Sometimes, music on the radio would help, although for a time, the only thing that would help was the music on the Hispanic stations. lol I guess it was that steady beat? Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 6:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Is he in an infant seat? If so, you might want to think about switching him to a convertible carseat (obviously rear facing). As they get bigger, the convertible is often more comfortable, and it doesn't have to be reclined as much as the infant seat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• he wont take binky in the car, is hes close to a nap he gets mad. he freak out more when im up from n music is a no go in the car. his car seat has an adjuster to make him sit lower or more upright ill try putting him in a more up right poistion. he likes sitting up in his stroller
    1stbaby0511

Comment by 1stbaby0511 (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My DD is 9 months old and still hates being in the car. We thought she would grow out of it eventually but, not yet. We decided to invest in a dvd player for the car and we put in her favorite movies...keeps her distracted for about 15-20 mins...but then she starts crying again!! We also went on a road trip..18hrs...the only advice I can give you is to drive when he sleeps. We left at like 3am to start our drive and stopped at around 11 when she was really freaking out. When we got to our destination finally we were exhausted yes...but had relatives there to watch her so we could nap. I would def reccomend doing this if your baby hates the car as much as mine!
    LiviLove613

Answer by LiviLove613 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2011