Your history with Sleepovers as a kid/teen?

What is your history with sleepovers as a kid & teen?
Where they always fun? and something you looked forward to?
Did anything ever happen that should not have - like an adult take advantage of you?

Do/will you allow your child to sleep over at others house?
why/why not?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• They were always tons of fun and no nothing bad every happened to me, either by bullying or an adult taking advantage. I most definitely allow my kids (when they are old enough) to go to sleep overs. I just do like my mom always did and make sure I know the parents, meet the people who will be in charge, get the phone number & emergency numbers and all that jazz.

Answer by gemgem at 5:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I don't remember my first sleepover... or many years of them after that. But I did have a LOT of sleepovers in high school, usually at my friend Kelsey's house every single weekend for most of grade 10. I really just liked to get away from my family and hang out with friends! I also had a lot of sleepovers with my still-best-friend Blair, and those were always the best ones. We'd just... stay up all night and watch chick flicks we couldn't watch with our other friends, and talk about our boyfriends and stuff. It was always fun.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• - I spent most weekends away from home...
    - I always had alot of fun hanging out with friends & having sleep overs at their houses (or mine).
    - Yes things did happen that should not have! But stupid me would actually return to the house!! The fun with friends was too much to say no too & i always would say I would do something to prevent it from happening again or whatever..

Our kid:
    -She does sleep over at families house right now. she is too young for friend sleepovers.
    -Im debating on our rules about sleeping over. the more i think about sleepovers growing up the more i fear them for my own child! I want her to enjoy her life. but id like to protect her from some of the things i experienced.
    MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• i did and always had fun. my intuition was good, i wouldn't stay at someone's house unless i felt completely comfortable with that friend and their family, even if my dad didn't know the parents.most of the time, however, they stayed at our house.

right now my kids are too young to stay over unless it's family or VERY close friends, and so far the only time they've stayed at their house is for a reason (like ds stayed with my aunt while i was having dd) i pray i raise my kids to have good intuition like i did and they choose their friends wisely, but for now i see no problem with sleep overs, only difference between me and my dad is i would want to meet the parents first.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 12, 2011