To homeschool or not to homeschool?

I have four kids all enrolled in public school. My oldest son has struggled very hard this past two years and I'm considering the idea to homeschool him next fall, the other three would rather stay in school. So My questions are would it be wrong to only homeschool him, and does anyone have any advice towards a reputable 6th grade curriculum for a slim budget? I've learned here in Texas the State is more relaxed with the affects of homeschooling but I would like to keep a steady form of education flowing so when he does return to a public school he will be grade level or above. I appreciate any helpful tips, Thanks.

Wizperwind

Asked by Wizperwind at 5:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in

• i personally see nothing wrong with homeschooling only one. my kids are in preschool right now and i've decided to go the homeschooling route, at least until i'm comfortable with them making the decision if they want to stop and go to school. there are some moms on here that had one go to school while the other homeschooled.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I think it would be fine with home school only this child as long as the child agrees with it. I am actually looking into home schooling my youngest child next year. She has had many medical issues this year and has missed most of the year. As far as what type of curriculum to use I can not say.  I would research and contact other people who home school in your area.  I know where I live there is a website for people who home school and there is contact information for each town.  I contacted the person for my town and she was very helpful.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• its ok to HS one and not the others ,
    check out --- letshomeschool.com
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• You could also try the Happy Homeschoolers group here on Cafemom. There are a lot of very helpful women in the group that are always up for answering questions.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 5:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Sure, you can homeschool only one. We started that way (homeschooling just our older daughter) but after a while our younger daughter really wanted to join in and now we homeschool both girls.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• We will home school one, while the other stays in private school. I agree with joining happy homeschoolers. Research a lot for the curriculum. There are so many to choose from.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• if that is what he wants good for you that you can do it!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 12:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2011