Are people too busy to be cordial to one another?

I sent an email this morning to someone, asking a question about and upcoming event. I ended my email with "Thank you" in appreciation. I would say that when I communicate with people I make them feel comfortable and I like to be empathetic and compassionate.
Her reply was straight to the point, dry even. Especially when emailing stuff like that comes across roughly, but I feel like she could have been a little more inviting. (In real life conversations, she's very friendly/warm)
I almost feel like it was a burden for her to convey information to me, because she said if I had looked later on in the calendar I would have saw the event. (I didn't even think to look because in years past it's been the same time every year).

What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• I am like you...I try to speak with maturity and joy in my writing or voice.
    I get more of this on the phone from offices that I do business with, say doctor's offices. I detest having someone hang up in my ear and cut me off. It only takes a few more seconds to show kindness to one another...on the phone or online...
    I believe you should keep on being who you are...It is the rest of the world that needs the education...(Sometimes I am bold enough to point out their abruptness to them...lest they forget who they are speaking to: A fellow human being...) ;)
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 5:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Laugh it off. She is warm and friendly. Sometimes email does not translate it. Email is quick and to the point. Don't let it become a problem. Move on.
    Shirley
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I think that sometimes when texting and emailing things get lost in the translation. If she is a person that you are friends with and she is nice normally then I would not think anything of it. I might think she was having a bad day or I would just let it go.

I understand what you are saying although I think that sometimes we just have to take emails with a grain of salt because the person sending might not realize that she even offended you.

Good Luck

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Sometimes I short and to the point, I have three kids.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I agree with the above posters, she could have been busy or in a hurry and did not re-read her email to see how it came off. plus it can be hard sometimes to convey emotion with things that arent very personal like emails and text messages.
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Sounds like she was busy.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 5:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• In email and in text things get lost in translation and some people don't realize what email and text etiquette are. Blow it off, she may be one of those people who haven't learned how to communicate in emails as of yet.
    AWomansMind

Answer by AWomansMind at 6:35 PM on Mar. 12, 2011