When did you start rice cereal?

my ds is four months today and is exclusively breastfed. im not ready for him to start eating cereal and i dont know why. hes just growing too fast. when did you start giving your baby cereal and did you do it from a bowl or bottle?

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 5:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• i also ebf my children and started rice cereal when they could hold their heads up well....around 3 or 4 months. don't do it in a bottle unless there is a medical need. the rice cereal is introducing them to food and getting them used to eating from a spoon.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I didn't. Children can't actually digest grain until around 18 months, until then it just slows everything down and ferments in their system.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• when my son was able to hold his head up its ganna be different for everyone :D congrats on the nursing!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• they don't need cereal really. so take your time. my first, ds, started cereal at the end of 4 months., i looked more into it later though, and dd didn't even have cereal, maybe 2 bowls at 7 months, but that was it. i came to my senses lol. she didn't even eat baby food. when she was 9 months, she started table food.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I started mine around 6 months
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 5:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My DD started around 7 months. She wasn't ready before then.
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I ebf my last child(he's 2 now) and we didn't start until 6-7 months. He doesn't really 'need' the cereal, but it does help get him used to eating solids, and it is the least likely to have a reaction. Also, we NEVER put cereal in a bottle, except on direct orders from the doc. It can be dangerous, as in he could choke, and it also can make him get too full. You don't have to start right now if you don't want to- you have plenty of time :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 6:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My son started having rice cereal about 9 months. But he was drinking porridge since he was 2 months.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 7:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Mine had rice cereal starting at 2 weeks, under doctor's care and on a spoon. Did wonderfully, has NO allergies and is not overweight.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I introduced solids with DD, my oldest, about 5 1/2 mos. We used oatmeal. For DS, we introduced solids sometime in his 8th month, but we didn't do any of the infant cereals. You say you aren't ready for him to start, but you don't know why. Well, he's probably not quite ready yet. I don't recommend anything other then breast milk or formula until at LEAST 6 mos of age.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2011