U.S. ENGLISH & CANADIAN ENGLISH SPELLING NOT THE SAME

Ok, this to let ppl know, who don't know that not all words are spelled the same as I was corrected on a word I used which was spelled correctly, but not the American spelling...... as I am not American.

For ppl who don't know here are some examples:
Color - Colour
Gray - Grey
Neighbor - Neighbour

So stop correcting ppl when you see this as we are not all American.
Thank you.....pls bump! : )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Thank you for posting this! Some people are just ignorant, and I must admit I was too before I went to school in England for a semester. I was sitting in the computer lab typing out my first assignment and looked at the screen to see that a lot of my words were spelled incorrectly. I couldn't believe it! I was never told before going there that their English words were spelled differently! If I wouldn't have had that opportunity to go there I wouldn't have known that!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• i always wondered why i've seen the word color spelled colour in books (i'm a big reader) lol. i never thought of it as a second english language. then again i never actually looked into it. it's more of a passing thought when i see it. thanks :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My mom is British so I never correct
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Hubby's from England, and he say's he spells everything correctly, and I spell it wrong,lol... I have to agree with him actually... I can't understand why anyone would try to correct you except for the fact that they don't realize you're from Canada.... Just ignore them, it's not really a big deal.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• It amazes me that people don't know the difference, but there are a lot of uneducated people out there.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• We are from Michigan so maybe it slipped across the border, but up until a few years ago, I didn't know I was spelling "grey" wrong because it is just how I learned it...now I have tried to change to "gray", but it is a hard habit to break.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I didn't realize that there were people who didn't know that! I just assumed it was common knowledge.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 7:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I too learned "grey" not gray. I was well into college, my 2nd or 3rd year, before a professor attempted to tell me I was wrong. It's not worth arguing over so for that paper I wrote gray and moved on, but in my everyday life it's "grey". I also type theatre, (as oppose to theater) which I've been corrected for. And is in fact correct.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• There's also "whinge" for "whine", "theatre" instead of "theater", "foetus" instead of "fetus", and so on.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• there is a south african english as well. ex, they spell tire as tyre
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 10:24 AM on Mar. 13, 2011