How do I get my skinny 11 year old to eat more?

My oldest son is 11 years old and hardly has NO appetite!! I'm not talking about not refusing to eat healthy foods. I mean, even when it is something he LOVES, like pizza, he might only eat one piece and then he's done. He is soooo skinny! I was a skinny child too, but I had food allergies and was sick alot. My son has no allergies but he also has no appetite. My youngest son is the complete opposite and eats like a horse. I'm at the end of my rope trying to get my 11 year old to eat. When he was a toddler, he ate everything without any problem, veggies and all. He loves peas ( those are his favorite veggie) but he just eats such a small amount. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Let him be, if he is healthy, do not push him to eat more, better to be skinny than overweight.

Answer by older at 6:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I'd say at that age, as long as he's eating when he's hungry, I wouldn't worry too much. I bet he'd still be skinny even if he stuffed his face at meal times! I was friends with a LOT of skinny boys when I was in middle school/high school, and some of them still are skinny even though they can practically eat their own weight in food.
    Try feeding him foods that are less filling, so he might be hungry for more... and make it acceptable in your house to eat more than one helping of something. You might not notice you're doing it, but maybe you make it seem like having more than "your share" is not okay. I know my parents do that without meaning to, and I never eat much when I'm there.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• He has gotten sick more this winter than he ever has in his life and I can't help but think it's because he's so skinny.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• do you give him a vitamin everyday? that helps me from getting sick alot. some people just don't eat alot. if he's not complaining about any pain or anything like that, that might just be the way he is. my oldest son is like that too. he won't eat hardly a thing for a long time, and then he'll eat alot when he's having a growth spurt, then it's back to nothing. i just think it's his personality.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I agree that he is probably just prone to be thin, and I would be hesitant to push him to eat more than his appetite because I think it leads them to trouble later on if their metabolism changes.

I am assuming that he will be having a huge growth spurt very soon, and that his appetite will be picking up in a hurry then!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I wish that my problem was I had no appetite and was skinny I'm jealous LOL

IDK try fatty foods like milk shakes and malted pancakes
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Juice Plus+® is a whole food based nutritional product that provides nutrition from 17 different fruits, vegetables, and grains — like apples, broccoli, kale, parsley, and beets — in a convenient and inexpensive capsule form. Taken daily, Juice Plus+® helps you bridge the gap between what you and your family should eat and what you do eat, every day.
    It's clinically proven!
    Unlike the overwhelming majority of nutritional products on the market today, Juice Plus+® is backed by original clinical research. Studies conducted by prestigious research institutions and published in peer-reviewed scientific journals have found that Juice Plus+®:

•Delivers key phytonutrients that are absorbed by the body
    •Reduces oxidative stress caused by free radicals
    •Helps support a healthy immune system
    •Helps protect the structural integrity of DNA
    •Promotes cardiovascular wellness
    www.welovejuiceplus.com
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 9:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• wellnessgirl, please go peddle your products someplace else!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Maybe he just has a high metabolism kids will eat when they are hungry.
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Lot's of little meals not 3 big ones and call the Dr. and make sure that he is ok
    mandyandthree

Answer by mandyandthree at 9:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2011