If a person develops type 2 diabetes because they are overweight can it go away if they lose the weight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Health

• No once you are diabetic you always are, however, if you lose weight it can help you control it better. My mil has lost around 75 lbs and has it, and she still has to test and all of that. My mom had gastric bypass and has lost 100+ pounds she still has it.

Answer by gemgem at 6:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Losing weight will help but not fix the problem. Dietary changes can make the need for medication obsolete.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I agree with the others. It can help A LOT but I don't think it makes it go away.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• in some cases it will go away with weight loss and lifestyle changes I do think it may have to do with how the pancrease is functioning
    gmadiane

Answer by gmadiane at 6:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• You can never get rid of diabetes, youcan get it under control however.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 6:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• yes you can make it go away with weight loss. you will have to change the way you eat but i brought my a1c and my sugar level to way down below diabetes level. just have to keep track of what you eat and watch teh sweets and starches.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• For some, it can go away.
    Anonymous

• For some, losing weight and changing eating habits can stop diabetes. My grandma was insulin dependent and changed her diet and lost weight and she is no longer diabetic. That's why if you are borderline the doctor tells you to exercise and change your habit so yo don't develop diabetes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• what is with the vote downs on these answers?!?!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Type 2 diabetes means you are insulin resistant. Changing your diet, exercising & losing weight can "cure" it. There are many natural ways of controlling it. However, if you are put on insulin, you will always need insulin because your body will stop producing it.

There is a lot of information out there. Do your own research & make your own decisions.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:36 AM on Mar. 13, 2011