Should i feel bad??

i babysit this 10 yr old girl. her mother asked if i could take her thursday to her recital she had since she (the mother) couldnt go cause she is in school. It was my day off, but I went ahead and picked her up from school, and took her to her recital. Her mom said she would pay me for the day.. When i dropped her off, her mom gave me a wad of money. When I got in the car I counted it, and it was a hundred bucks...!! Just for 6 hours!! Dh said he felt bad, that maybe 50 would have been good, but she gave me 100... I mean she ALREADY over pays me, but if she has the money, and she is just giving it out.. should I feel bad for taking ALL of it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No. I have a tendency to overpay and I know what I am doing. She probably does as well. She overpaid you because you did her a great favor and something great for her dd.

Answer by gemgem at 6:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• She probably feels bad for not being able to take her daughter to the recital and is paying you for her own guilt.
    catsmom1993

Answer by catsmom1993 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I would call and say "I think you overpaid me." and if she says no, then be happy!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• She must really appreciate you and the job you are doing with her daughter. It is wonderful when parents recognize that child care is the most valuable service they will ever use. People give a waitress $5 for clearing off the table after a buffet lunch. It takes maybe 3 minutes. But childcare is lucky to get that for an hour.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• i kinda took my boys out yesterday... out to lunch 18 bucks, movies 23. clothes at gymboree 21. snacks at theatre 13.. 20 to my mom... yeah.. im not left with much.. lol. Late to ask, but next time.. lolol.. oops
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I would assume that she really values you and your willingness to help her out on short notice with things/days outside your regular duties.

If I were in her position, I know I would think it was worth the extra money to have someone I knew I could trust.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:18 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• no , shes showing you how much she appriciates you
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• No. Not at all. If the mom thought you deserve a tip then take it as a compliment. I often tip our sitters - but not quite like that. You spent it and you earned it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I don't think so. You did something most sitters aren't required to do and she is probably just thankful.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:38 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• No. I always overpay for a good babysitter. I know I'm overpaying but I expect nothing but the best for my daughter and am willing to show my appreciation. You must be doing a great job :)
    Cosetterose

Answer by Cosetterose at 8:09 AM on Mar. 13, 2011