My 12 year old son forgets to shower

My 12 year old seemingly forgets to shower for days. He has become interested in girls, which was the point we thought he would start caring about his appearance, hair and smell. It does not seem to bother him though. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions?

catsmom1993

Asked by catsmom1993 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have 3 boys so yes. Very common and normal. I dont know why they are like that either? I still have to get on my 18 yr old! He tells me its ok mama the girls want me either way (lol he wishes). My 10 yr old comes over all stinky form his dads and I guess dad doesnt either pay attention to his non showering ways or doesnt care. When hes with me though he has to shower every day or he doesnt get to play his video games, hand helds, watch TV, get on the comp, go outside, nothing. It seems to work.

Answer by gemgem at 7:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Yes and I would tell my son to shower every couple of days and if he refused, I told him I would stand outside the shower and TELL him what to wash.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Tell him a story(could be a fake one) of "the guy in high school who was realy cute but smelled so bad no girl wanted to talk to him" That could possibly make him want to not be " that guy". lol good luck
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 7:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I think that is pretty common for that age. I would tell him everyday to do it...NOW.

If he gets mad b/c you are telling him to do it..then tell him to be responsible and do it himself without you telling him to.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Sometimes they just see showering as a waste of their free time. I never had the problem with my son, but my daughter is 13 and I still have to remind her to shower. Maybe tell him no electronics , tv , vidieo games, computer until he has showered. Showering is not an option.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• We still have to tell our 11 year old daughter to shower, and we'll keep doing it until she starts showering on her own. I don't know of any tips or tricks other than bossing your kid around. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• remind him that girls like boys that smell good and look good not the stinky ones so if he wants them to interested in him then he needs to shower every other day at least

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would make it not an option for him... just like doing his homework, showering is part of a routine... Maybe one day he will care... my husband apparently didn't care though till after we got married and I threatened him with sleeping on the couch and no sex... lol! (He showered while we were dating, but didn't once we got married...)
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 11:01 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• No shower, no dinner.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Not showering is not common in my household. Everyone gets their butts in the shower every day to make sure they are smelling good. Good hygiene and properly taking care of themselves is a major concern for me because how my kids look and smell is a direct reflection on me.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2011