Hydrocodone and pregnancy

Anyone ever take hydrocodone when pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• NO NO NO!!!!! Hydrocodone is a deriviative of vicodin with codeine in it. I don't take that stuff not pregnant, it messes me up bad.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• yes, tons. and when that didn't work my high risk OB switched me to morphine. And my 6 pound 12oz 39 week baby was born perfect.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• there's a big difference than taking what your OB knows about and can monitor the baby for and taking ones from friends, semi expired ones collecting dust from when you had your wisdom teeth removed years ago, etc etc etc

if you're taking it u must make certain everyone is on board. meaning regular dr, ob, midwife, etc etc etc etc etc. you'll likely get extra scans, extra care, and blood/pee tests to check your liver and stuff. oh - and depending on your dosage breastfeeding might be out of the question
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• no way!
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• remember though, if you try and be brave and suffer through valid pain, your baby is suffering too. if you're gritting your teeth thru agony you'll likely have no appetite and have inconsistent blood pressure and blood sugars. Thinking of yourself IS thinking of your baby. I think "no way" is confusing a paper cut with a hardcore injury with significant pain. No one WANTS to put chemicals into their body when they're growing life. But your baby needs your blood pressure stable and you able to exercise, eat, etc etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I never took pain killers when i was pregnant but when I was in labor I didnt want the epidural too soon and so they gave me morphine in my IV but that was the doc doing it and it was right at the end of my pregnancy, I wouldnt take it if your OB didnt prescribe it to you!
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 8:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Yes. It is safe, if prescribed to you and taken as directed. It's recommended to not take close to the end of your pregnancy, if possible, to avoid baby being born dependent on it, although if your doctor is monitoring you, and paying careful attention to your does, it can still be prescribed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Just wanted to point out, since it was mentioned, that you CAN also nurse while taking this. Again, as long as it's taken as directed, it's safe for nursing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Yes, you can. I was on hydrocodone and methadone for chronic paid due to breaking my back in 2001, and having a spinal fusion. I was able to wean off of it gradually, and was off of it completely by the time my son was born.
    ericsangel82

Answer by ericsangel82 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• nope i am afraid to take any medications to be honest
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 10:58 AM on Mar. 13, 2011