Did you/Do you, put rice cereal in your babies bottle?

Why...why not?

How old were they?

Did it help them sleep better?

Do you think it harms them...or no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i was told to with my first son with acid reflux to make it thicker an crap ... but i stopped after a couple days of trying it. havent done with my other two... they also had reflux but i didnt like putting it in a bottle.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 7:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I did a little... everyone says OH IT HELPS THE BABIES SLEEP... it does but only because babies cannot digest rice cereal so it stays in the belly....
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:35 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I did with my middle child because she woke frequently through the night for a bottle. Her doctor told me to give it a try. I put about 1 tablespoon in her 6 ounce bottle of formula and yes..for her it did help her to sleep through the night. She wouldnt eat rice cereal any other way either,lol. She was and still IS a very picky eater. I saw no harm in it..for us.Its what we chose to do..it worked.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• No. Why not? Because, solids are not meant to be drank, and because infant cereal has no nutritional value (other then what's been added to it). It's not necessary to EVER give infant cereal, but it should always be fed with a spoon, unless there is a real medical need to feed it otherwise.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My son had cereal at 2 weeks old ON A SPOON. The doctor told me to do this to help keep the formula in his tummy instead of all over me. If worked too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I hate hate hate to be the crazy lady that cant keep her mouth shut, but cereal ON A SPOON FOR A 2 WEEK OLD?????? Your doctor is a moron and People give wayyyyy to much trust to doctors. If my doc told me to do something that sounded absolutely insane I'd never!! That is the craziest thing I ever heard, I am sorry but i HAD to comment!

To answer your question, No.. They say it helps them sleep, but I think people do it to help themselves sleep, babies will sleep at sometime or another, thats what babies do. If they truly are not sleeping there may be a good reason and stuffing them with food is not going to get you that answer. If the baby is a bit older, then maybe, but not for a little baby I'd say no.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• i did with mine it was started in the nicu when she was born @ 29wks..she remained on it for awhile bc of reflux..come to find out she could not use any type of milk other than cows milk..she alway had a hurting tummy..reflux or something all the time until i switched her which was not advised by her dr..but drs dont know everything since i changed her she has completely stopped the reflux etc
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 8:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• never used rice, i started with multigrain. my 7 month old gets a spoonful in each bottle. been doing that for a month. never did it to help her sleep better. she was sleeping 10 hours straight through the night at 1 month, still sleeps the same, that never changed. i do it because the doc told me to and she likes it
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Oh my goodness, jorgigirl! I'm glad your LO has found some relief, but I'd be too worried to use just cow's milk for an infant. Are you adding anything to it, or any supplements to her diet?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• no baby rice is worthless crap! i never did it and saw no need to do it!! my dd woke every 2-3 hours from birth until she was 5 months old! im ok with that im breast feeding and if she needs to feed i feed her sure i got next to no sleep but im not going to give her rice just cuz i want more sleep!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2011