how to keep my little one from forgetting daddy

my husband has been deployed for 2 months and will be gone for another 5 or 6 more months. how can i keep my 1 year old son from forgetting who daddy is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you have any videotapes of your husband, play them for your little one and tell him it's the "daddy movie." Put lots of pictures up...when you're carrying him from place to place, have him "wave to daddy's picture."
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 6:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• video tapes, pictures, talk about him a lot.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 8:23 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I know how you feel. My husband is deployed and he just saw our son for the first time while on leave. My son is 3 mos old. When my Hubby comes home from his deployment our son will be 10 mos old. I have pictures of our family and of my husband all around his bedroom. We also have webcams so that he can see him and hear his voice. I am not sure if he will remember him. But it is worth a shot.
    Georgiagirl83

Answer by Georgiagirl83 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Send your DH the text of a favorite story book and a tape recorder / small digital recorder. Have him tape himself reading the story. During story time at night, have a picture of Daddy where your little one can see it and help him turn the pages while Daddy reads the story. Have that be the last story at storytime every night.

When you go to the park or other "adventures", take photos. With your little ones "help", make a colorful scrapbook sheet to send to your hubby of those adventures. Have your DH send back a photo of him holding the sheet.

Most important, remember that it will take time to reintegrate your family when he comes home. Locate things now that give you ideas on how to do that. www.usaa.com has some info and I'm sure there are MANY other sites.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• dh did 30 yrs in the Navy, deployment is something I know well. Include Daddy in everyday conversation. Have pictures of Daddy all over. Years ago we used to make cassettes of us telling each other what was going on, I love yous etc. I know cassettes are atiquated but they do have those mini recorders and such. Before my dh left he would record himself reading stories to the boys. A new book or two but always their favorites. Keep a calendar, let them help you mark off each day as one closer to when Daddy comes home. Small kids under 2 may be a little stand offish when they first come home, but they warm up pretty quickly. I think the longest it ever took was 3 days once. If you can get your dh's voice on video, tape, CD something your child will recognize this immediately on his return. It is a tough job, but one you have to do for your family. You will be great. I know that because you bothered to ask the question in the first place.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Point to photos of him doing all kinds of things, let them talk on the phone & get a WEBCAM. If your DH doesn't have a computer or a webcam, buy him one!!! The webcam works so well! We still use ours so that my son can talk to his grandparents & it really helps b/c he isn't shy around them when we do get to visit them!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I heard of a lady that got 5x7 pictures of him laminated so the baby could play with them. And she framed pics and put them above her crib. She said when he got off the bus her child ran to him and screamed Daddy!
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• See if he can get access to a web cam. Let him watch videos and pictures of his daddy :)
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2008