Anyone ever put a little karo syrup in baby's bottle for constipation?

I use to when my 16 yr old was a baby because the doctor had told me too but then a friend had on fb today that her doctor freaked out because that can cause SIDS.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter will be 16yrs in April and I too gave her karo syrup.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 11:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• No. I've never heard of it causing SIDS, but there IS a risk of botulism poisoning when given to babies under 12 mos. Karo states, on their website, that their product is not intended for infants.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• yeah but it didn't work. i ended up feeding him prunes, worked like a charm
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I just had a baby and she is constipated. That is what the doctor told me to use. They haven't figured what actually causes SIDS yet.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 7:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I have never heard that it can cause SIDS. I've even researched it. A nurse recommended it for my one son but some else had said I shouldn't.

The one thing I did find was that the formulation of Karo Syrup is different today then it was many years ago, therefore it no longer works well for constipation like it once did.

Also, there is a very slight to almost none risk, but still there none the less that it can cause botulism as it is bottled in a non sterile environment.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Kimkh, if I were you, I would NOT give this to my baby. It can be dangerous. How old is your baby, and what are her symptoms? I'm hoping to be able to help you, if you want.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Karo syrup does NOT cause SIDS. No one really knows what causes SIDS. I have used clear Karo syrup in water, didn't really helped. What did help was weak tea. I made a cup of weak tea and let cool to room temp and then gave it to my son. Worked very well and was recommended by 2 doctors.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I do not know if it is true or not.
    jenn4443

Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• can you just use baby prunes and an ounce of warm water
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• There is a risk of botulism with any syrups or honey before they are a year old. The latest recommendation is to avoid either of these until they are over 12 months.

"Although dark corn syrup was once a common home remedy for infant constipation, today's commercially prepared dark corn syrup may not contain the type of chemical structure that draws fluid into the intestine and softens stool — making it ineffective for infant constipation. In addition, for children younger than age 1, Karo syrup may be a potential cause of a rare but serious form of food poisoning known as infant botulism."
    Is it safe to give karo syrup to babies for constipation?
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2011