5 month old not crawling and hates tummy time help

My DD hates being on her tummy and when she is on her back she rolls from side to side but never all the way over anyone else have this problem and if so or not when did your children start crawling

krissii

Asked by krissii at 8:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• both my kids didn't start until they were around 9 months old. 5 months is a little young to be crawling i think.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My daughter started crawling at about 6months and walked at 9. I know many kids though who never crawled, just started pulling themselves up and walking. I wouldn't worry :)
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• thanks for answering i'm relieved i'm not the only one thinking she is a little young but i have my MIL yelling at me telling me i am neglecting my daughter and she will not develop correctly...she's kinda crazy and hates me but she's trying to convince my husband that we aren't doing everything we should be and yet we have a happy healthy baby ......sorry for the rant you guys are the best
    krissii

Comment by krissii (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My son is 5 months and he's not rolling over and JUST started lifting his head 90 degrees at tummy time. he hates it. but my doctor said that he wont start worrying until he's 9 months and not sitting. and i really respect my dr. he's wonderful.
    jnhill

Answer by jnhill at 8:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• 5 months is too young to crawl. Keep going with the tummy time, lay on the floor with her on your tummy. Also laying on your back with her on your chest may help her get used to tummy time.
    Anonymous

• 5 mos is very young still. My oldest started crawling at 9 1/2 mos and my youngest was 11 mos. It's not unheard of for a 5 mo old to crawl, but it's unusual. Some babies never crawl, and just go straight to walking. That too, is normal. As far as tummy time goes, both of my kids were not fans either, so we just didn't do it, maybe once in a while. Their physical development was not affected. In lieu of tummy time, I used an exersaucer. I know it sounds odd, and it's not exactly the same, but I found that they would kind of push with their arms while in it, and I think this helped with upper body strength.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• my kids crawl at 9 mts. crawling is not even consider a milestone
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• That's normal. I think most babies start crawling between 7-9 months. My youngest started rolling at 3 1/2 months and doing the army crawl at 5 1l2 months but he just started crawling on his hands and knees at 7 1/2 months. My other kids were rolling at 5 months, 3 1/2 months, 5 months and 3 months. They were crawling at 7 1/2 months, 6 months (5 for army crawl), 8 months and just before 7 months (5 1/2 months for army crawl). I think the more time they spend on the floor the sooner they will roll/crawl. I don't wear or carry my babies around all the time. From about 2 months on they were pretty much on the floor unless they were eating or sleeping.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Every child is different. Mine started crawling at 5 months but will not sit up yet! Lol! Just give it time they baby will naturally start to explore.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 3:53 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My 5 month old won't roll over either. He used to roll over but I guess hes just not interested in it anymore. He doesn't like tummy time either and he doesn't crawl. Our kids seem to be on the same path. Don't worry!!
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 8:35 AM on Mar. 14, 2011