pregnant, and breastfeeding.

Will my breasts still produce colostrum when my next baby is born, if I'm already BFing my first baby still??
I'm not sure if this is a "stupid" question or not, but I will not tolerate ANY rudeness. There's no need for it.

Destiny13

Asked by Destiny13 at 4:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• They will still make colostrum. I'm 28 weeks pregnant and nursing my 20 month old. FOr some odd reason one breast is making colostrum and the other is making milk. It's probably because he nurses most on the milk making side.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Hmmm thats a good question,

I dont think so...its just more than likely breastmilk,...

How old is your first?
    I dont know if i could do it if i felt a little baby in my stomach kicking me, and another on my breast,

Maybe if your first is old enough abouve the age of 1. get him or her off the boob
    Anonymous

• First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! And secondly, yes you sure will.You'll continue producing milk as long as you continue BFing. You've nothing to worry about other than staying healthy, eating enough, etc. :) How beautiful and blessed!
    butterflyenergy

Answer by butterflyenergy at 4:52 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My first DD is almost 10 months now, and I'm not sure if I'm going to wean her or not, but it won't be until she's at least a year, I was thinking more like around 2 yrs old, and then letting her self wean.
    I just hope the colostrum comes through instead of leaving the newborn to deal with the less nutrients, of regular breast milk.
    It just seems like the BM I have now, would wash the colostrum away... if that makes sense...
    Hi butterflyenergy!!
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Breatfeeding until the age of two??? Isn't that a little long? Not to be rude, just wondering. I thought usually people are done by the age of one.
    I didn't come to bash, I just wanted to know the answer myself.
    Anonymous

• I'm 35wks and bfing my 16month old and I was wanting the same info.... No one really has much to say about it though, so I'm gonna get a tandem nursing book and see what I can find! Breastfeeding till the age of 2 is actually what is recomended!!
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Yes you will. Your milk will change before the baby is born, or right around that time. Tandem feeding is totally possible. Your toddler will most likely stop nursing for a couple days because most kids don't like the taste of colostrum. But after that could start nursing again and a huge plus - no engorgement. Totally efficient feeding :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Yay!! I can't stand the engourgement, thats part of the reason I'm letting ds self wean!!
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• "Breatfeeding until the age of two??? Isn't that a little long? Not to be rude, just wondering. I thought usually people are done by the age of one.
    I didn't come to bash, I just wanted to know the answer myself. "

A lot of people feel that is too long, but actually kids don't show any natural signs of weaning until much later!
    I am a little offended at your reply anonymous, but I did expect it, after all this is America, the place where the boob is shunned unless there's a porn star hanging off of it.

It's cool though, my child will be a genius thanks (in part) to extended BFing
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• To mamaof2748:
    if you get any good info after you read your book, and/or give birth, I'd LOVE for you to share!
    Congrats on your new LO BTW!
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2008