Do you want your cities police officers getting their jobs with D's and F's on their test?

Is this the price we must pay to be "diverse"?

DAYTON -- The Dayton Police Department is lowering its testing standards for recruits.

It's a move required by the U.S. Department of Justice after it says not enough African-Americans passed the exam.

Dayton is in desperate need of officers to replace dozens of retirees. The hiring process was postponed for months because the D.O.J. rejected the original scores provided by the Dayton Civil Service Board, which administers the test.

Under the previous requirements, candidates had to get a 66% on part one of the exam and a 72% on part two.

The D.O.J. approved new scoring policy only requires potential police officers to get a 58% and a 63%. That's the equivalent of an ‘F’ and a ‘D’.

“It becomes a safety issue for the people of our community,” said Dayton Fraternal Order of Police President, Randy Beane. “It becomes a safety issue to have an incompetent officer next to you in a life and death situation."

“The NAACP does not support individuals failing a test and then having the opportunity to be gainfully employed,” agreed Dayton NAACP President Derrick Foward.

The D.O.J. and Civil Service Board declined Dayton’s News Source’s repeat requests for interviews. The lower standards mean 258 more people passed the test. The city won't say how many were minorities.

“If you lower the score for any group of people, you're not getting the best qualified people for the job,” Foward said.

“We need to work with the youth and make them interested in becoming law enforcement officers and firefighters,” said Beane. “Break down the barriers whether they are real or perceived, so we can move forward in this community.”

The D.O.J. has forced other police departments across the country to lower testing standards, citing once again that not enough black candidates were passing.

The Dayton Firefighter recruit exam is coming up this summer. The chief said it’s likely the passing score for that test will be lowered as well.Civil Service Board Announces Police Recruit Scores

Friday, March 11 2011, 12:17 AM EST

http://abc.daytonsnewssource.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wkef_vid_6103.shtml

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 9:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't care what their race is, if they can't pass the test, I don't want them on the streets.

Most of the departments around here now require an AAS in Criminal Justice as well as going through BLET (Basic Law Enforcement Training) or their own academy for just a patrol position.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Our police dept requires an associates degree or prior military service. But with either option you still have to pass the testing.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I want to know why the US DOJ is telling cities what they have to accept as a "passing" score. It should be up to the city, and maybe the state, but why federal?

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I'm glad the NAACP president weighed in. I was just beginning to think "Isn't it insulting to have people dumb-down a test just to hire more minorities?" I know many, many intelligent minorities. I think their main barrier is from their peers, saying crap like "Why you wanna be one of da po-po?" and "You're an Uncle Tom, man!" The DOJ needs to realize that affirmative action doesn't work...it only insults people who really push themselves to achieve something.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 10:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• No I would not. But there are things to look at on the test. Are questions racially biased insome way that consistantly black individuals consistantly fail compared to white applicants. There are several other issues that go beyond the scope of the test. But if truly any applicant does not pass the initial evaluation based on fair testing then certainly the job is not currently open to them.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Ahhhh haaaa! Now I know how we ended up with Obama!

Race should never even come into it..not on the application and not on the test.

I suppose I'll have to pick up a couple more fire extinguishers and some more ammunition so I can just take care of myself.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:13 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I dont care if someone is white, black, hispanic, polka dotted or an alien from outer space. I want them to pass the test with flying colors before they think about coming to my house for any sort of emergency.

Answer by gemgem at 10:42 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• All I have to say is this, a student I had went through the BLET class. He struggled with the intense memorization and doesn't test well. He will be an amazing officer even as a Learning Disabled adult. He will learn the 'on the job' lessons just like all officers do. His ability to test well doesn't show the actual intelligent man he really is. Now, I know some score poorly because they just don't try - that's not what I'm talking about. He came to me to help him study (after all these years - he hasn't been my student for 9 years). We worked and worked. He passed with a 82. Does that mean he will be an average officer. Not even. He is focused and serious.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• The tests are SUPPOSED to be hard. This is not a simple factory job where you assemble things where low scores would not matter!! This is a job where you are responsible for the safety of the public!!

People complain about irresponsible gun owners and yet they would have no problem with cops that couldn't pass the tests???
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:01 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Here is a typical sample test.

http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/590/documents/Police%20study%20guide.pdf

Now please tell me why it would be racially biased
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2011