Has anyone had to take a med. to make them get a period ?

I have PCOS , and I pretty much only have 1 period a year ( for the last 3 years) ... My last Dr never thought this was a problem... but my new DR sent in a prescription ( i havent got it yet and I cant remember the name - I think it started with a P ) ... and it is to induce a period - I have to take it for 10 days and then on the 11th day she said I should get a "gusher period" ...

I am kind of scared about this because I get very queesy with blood ( even when I had regular periods, I was queesy for the whole time I was on it) ... I am also worried that it could make me sick or something -- having all what has "built up" over all of the months when I havent bled.....

OR , since I do still get a period once a year and it is pretty ok ( kind of heavy but not so bad) ... would it be like that ?

Basically since I cant find the name of the med. she put me on until Monday when I pick it up... I was wondering if anyone knew the name of it so I could look it up ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Health

• I have heard of this med but can't think of the name either... just call the pharmacy and ask them what it was that your having filled. they should have it in the computer and be able to tell you easily.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Yes, I have PCOS too. Progesterone is what I took. It was the only way to have a period and drop hormone levels. By taking it 4 times a year I was able to quasi-regulate my system and wound up havbing the kids I was told I never would have. It made for a heavy period.. It did not make me sick.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• BTW.. the name of the med I took was Provera. the generic name is Medroxyprogesterone.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2011