Spin off: Do you open your DH/LP/SO's mail?

I usually do unless I don't know what something is. I write out our bills, and most of them come in his name, so I will open them or put them with the checkbook...he usually sees them eventually, especially if they're abnormally low or high.

If we get something I don't recognize I will either leave it or call to see if it is something I need to deal with. Sometimes, if I call him, he will tell me to open it and read it to him, or just tell me what he thinks it is.

I guess that is the way both of our parents did it, but the other question made me wonder whether it is different in different households?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I open it all... I will let him know things if there important or leave them so he can see them... but he never looks at them. As far as bills I would be suprised if he could even tell you who our electric company is :) He just doesn't pay attention.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• i open all the mail
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I usually open it. He's always working and probably would never open any mail if I didn't.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• It depends on the agreement you have with your significant other. I used to be in charge of paying all the bills, so it was my responsibility to open all of the mail and sort it. Now we share the duties more, and I only open things that come in my name. He opens whatever comes in his name, and I write the check if it's a bill.
    Jules13736

Answer by Jules13736 at 9:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I do as I am the bill payer so i have to open the mail. lol

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Yes, I open it all. He doesn't mind.

Answer by Bmat at 9:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• No he can open it himself
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• We are broken up but even when we were not I did not.
    pinkdragon36

• LOL @ Finkette! I know what you mean. My LP will look at the bank statement and canceled checks and say "what's SMG?"..."your daughter's gymnastics", "who is ______", "the dentist office" LOL! I don't think he knows the dentist's name beyond "that guy we go to"!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• No. He doesn't open mine either .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2011