Potty training my 20 month old DD what am I doing wrong?

my 20 month old will only sit on the potty she has her book and reads A E I over and over and talks to me..But, she never potty's in her potty chair...I run the water we sit there for 10-15 minutes.. What else can I do? she just don't pee pee in the potty.. I feel the books are distracting her.

newbabystarr09

Asked by newbabystarr09 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We sat the potty chair in the front room for 6 months and she used it to read books, watch tv and basically as a chair before she actually did anything on it.

give it time. The average age of potty training is still 4 unless you are on Cafemom.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• 20 months can be a little young for potty training. She may just not get it yet. I would try again in a couple of months.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• The problem is you are rushing it. She is still pretty young to be stressed about potty training!!
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I agree that 20 months is pretty young. children dont "usually" start having any success with toileting until about 2 1/2 my DD just turned 2 in February so we are slowly learning about going but this summer I will be able to have her without a diaper so thats when I am committed to starting. Id just let her read on the toilet as long as she wants for now and then in the warmer weather teach her about body functions by going without a diaper for a while.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 10:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Mine was trained before her 2nd birthday and we moved right after and she back slid. She is now 2 1/2 and leading the potty training sessions. When she gets up in the morning she tells me "no more diapers, just my big girl panties". So we wear our panties and if she has 4 successes then we get to do something special (of her choosing) before bed. We have a success chart that we put stickers on. You may need to wait a few more months and try again.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I don't feel I am rushing it...I am just giving it a shot..You never know
    newbabystarr09

Comment by newbabystarr09 (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2011