Fruit flies

have invaded my kitchen. before i had food in they were in there but they have gotten worse since we have brought in the food. i bleach my countertops and my sink once a day and throw some lime and lemon with bleach and ice down the garbage disposal to keep the flies away but have had no luck.....someone help me

chloesmama_2007

Asked by chloesmama_2007 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Vinegar. Worked great for me. Just put a small bowl of vinegar on the counter or wherever they are hanging out.
    jfblaine83

Answer by jfblaine83 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I saw some fruit fly traps in the garden section at walmart and kmart that might work. Havent tried it myself but it may work!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• make sure when you bring home fresh fruits and veggies that you wash them right away. Wash in a sink full of warm water and 1 cup vinegar. For your sinks....pour down baking soda and then vinegar and seal both of them if you have 2 overnight, then pour boiling water down there in the morning.
    Anonymous

• Mine when i had them were in my plants. I had some houseplants I kept by the sink, and they bred in the soil. I did 2 things. Stopped watering the soil so often, letting it get dry first, and also putting old coffee grounds on top of the soil. It dries out really dry and I guess they aren't attracted to it.

If they do not go to the vinegar you leave out, try a strong smelling soap. Also make sure there aren't any wet sponges laying around where they can get water.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Trust me. Foaming drain cleaner. Put it in ALL your drains, even the bathtub at the same time. THEN.....put sticky fly paper above the sinks you see the fly in the most. Cut the tips off the bunched end of bananas when you bring them home as well because thats where they usually come from, the grown together stem end of bananas. Within 2 days you WONT see them again, if you do? Foaming drain cleaner again. Its gets up into the U-shape and trap of the drain where the flys like to live and breed.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• vinegar works the best
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:14 AM on Mar. 13, 2011