Tummy time?

How many weeks do you wait to put babies on there tummy to play. Mine cries when I put her on her tummy. I imediatly take her off but I am begining to worry bc I thought they need to be on there tummy to strenghten there neck muscles and legs and arms.

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 11:42 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When your daughter can hold her head up she needs to have tummy time. This is different for every child, but typically between 3-5 months is when it's most important. Many children cry during tummy time. It's uncomfortable, they can't see around them very well, and it's new. Her crying isn't reason to stop it, but you can lessen the amount of time. Start small. 3-5 minutes, with you right there and surrounded by toys. If that's too much, back off and start with 2-3 minutes. As she tolerates it more add more time. But don't completely just stop tummy time. It helps with neck muscles, sight, rolling over, stomach muscles, gross motor skills. It's very important. You can also lay on your back and put baby on your tummy, on her tummy. This might make her more comfortable at first and will have basically the same effect.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Immediately. They cry because they are in a new position. Make sure there are toys or a plastic mirror for them to look at. Or lay on the floor in front of them and talk to them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• hmm, maybe at 4 or so months?? Sees to be the age that I got my son comfy on his tummy :)
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I started my little boy after he was a month old. He was able to hold is head up sturdy enough.
    charmd18

Answer by charmd18 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• We started almost immediately (within a couple weeks) after my son was born. Just a few minutes at a time to start, and then build up from there. We had a mirror for him to look at and later toys just barely out of reach to make him want to crawl to them. He was rolling over by 2 months and crawling by 5, but they all have their own timetables. I'm not sure when most start tummy time, but I know that it's important early on. I'd guess that you would want to start trying before 3 months, even if it was just a couple times a day for a few minutes. He didn't care for it much the first couple times we had him try it, but it wasn't very long before he loved it. He loved being able to see and hold his head up to look around instead of always being stuck on his back like a little turtle. :-)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:04 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I started when my daughter was only a few weeks old. As long as you are there watching them the whole time, I think it's fine to start them early.
    ss1436

Answer by ss1436 at 12:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• As long as you are watching them about a month old. Do not leave the baby alone even for a second. :)
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 3:46 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• i think i started when he's 3 wks, now he's 3 months and and hold his head up pretty well
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2011