Is my daughter too young for board games

Ok so I got a couple of board games from target last year for 5 dollars but for some reason I think she is too young for them she is 3. I got candy land and this lady bug game.

MamaAlderman_2

Asked by MamaAlderman_2 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honestly my son learned a lot with Candy land and his first games about that age. He is turning 5 now in December and he just got scrabble because he likes to spell out words using the pieces so I think it all depends on the kid I think! :O)
    DandyL

Answer by DandyL at 5:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Candy Land, Elefun, Chutes & Ladders, and Memory are all good beginner games. Also get some plain old jigsaw puzzles that are like 25 pieces or less. My daughter loves those!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• my DD is 2...and i got her candy land ;o) she doesnt play very well,
    she just hides the people from me and her dad,
    and cheats hahaha we explain what the heck to do,, she is just not interested as of yet
    Anonymous

• my son is 4 and we have been playing memory and guess who for about a year now. I don't think your daughter is to young. The game will just last longer than normal LOL you have to have patience to teach her and allow a little bit of cheating until she catches on! The bonding time is great because at that age they get so excited to play games expecially with mommy and daddy!
    CMead02

Answer by CMead02 at 6:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Thank you ladies I guess I just see her still as my baby lol. but she is a big girl I know she loves to sit down with us and do puzzles so I will give them to her for christmas.
    MamaAlderman_2

Answer by MamaAlderman_2 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My son is 3 and we have Candy Land, which honestly took some patience before he got the hang of it! But he's had that since last Xmas, when he was 2 I guess. He also really likes Hi-Ho-Cherrio if you're looking for other game ideas! And he plays memory and some caterpillar game.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 10:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My son is 3 and can play CandyLand, Chutes and Ladders and Memory. Any type of game that don't require reading are good for 3yr olds. They pick up on how to play them fairly quickly.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• board games can be like big books that you are reading. Even though you know that the book is massive and needs lots of comprehsion you come up with something similar and a lot more clear. My daughter and i play monopoly. It actually gives her a good idea of how money works. I removed certain penalties (like the go to jail and miss a turn) apperantly going to jail for her puppy was hard enough. we gave flat values for the different colors... 5 dollars, 10 dollars and so forth.... i cant think of some of it because we change it together everytime we play.
    Angel_lips28

Answer by Angel_lips28 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Haha! I got out Candyland the other day with my DS and set it up. We made it about halfway through the board before the little snot started to cheat! He only wanted the cards with 2 squares and then tried to distract me so he could move his pieces even farther. I have no idea who taught him that, but I was blown away.
    angiemgiu

Answer by angiemgiu at 6:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Candyland and Chutes and Ladders and LUCKY DUCKS are my daughter's games to play. We've tried Hi Ho Cherry-O too but she loses interest. However, with Candyland she will actually play it. On New Years she was actually playing the Candyland game with her daddy and Grandpa...you should have seen her face...it was PRICELESS *S*

Be prepared though..some kids about that age don't have a long attention span so they tire of playing the game quickly. I know my daughter was winning at Hi Ho Cherry-o and instead of checking to see how many more cherries she could add (she only needed two) she said "I'M DONE!" and didn't want to play anymore.
    truetigress

Answer by truetigress at 2:06 AM on Jan. 6, 2009