How would you handle this?

I am going to try to cut to the chase but, bear with me please....... i have been taking my Chihuahua/Yorkie to the same groomer for a little over a year; she goes every 3to4 weeks mostly b/c she needs her anal glands done but, she also gets a bath & everything too- she went to her regular appt. a few weeks ago & when i picked her up the groomer told me that she did not file her back nails b/c she was having a hard time with her leg that day- (she has had surgery to replace her knee cap) i always remind her of it & tell her not to do anything that seems painful- i didn't think that much about it until we got home & i let her down- she was having a really hard time walking- the next morning she was worse so, i took her to the vet- the vet seemed to think she pulled a muscle & gave her meds. by the third day she wasn't any better so, i called the groomer & asked her if she was sure nothing happened b/c the leg that is hurt is not the one she had surgery on- she then told me that her nail got caught in the drain & she jerked it out! i couldn't believe she didn't tell me that day! Since this happened we have been to the vet Alot- i've lost count- she has been on pain meds. since this happened & she had Laser Therapy Treatments Every day last week- she has two more days of them & then we will re-evaluate with the vet- Can you believe the groomer has only called Once to see how she was? & that was the day after i called her-she missed her appt. the other day & she didn't even call to ask why- i have Never missed one! i am beyond Heartbroken & Pissed! my dog has been in Alot of Pain regardless, of all the things we have tried & i'm not sure what the next step will be- i trusted this groomer with everything i have in me- i understand accidents happen; but to Show NO Compassion or Concern is Unimaginable to me! you have no idea how bad i want to go rip her head off! Of Course, i'm not going to that but, right now i have So Much Anger & i'm not sure how i am going to handle this- i want to believe the owner has no idea this even happened- How would handle it?

(EDIT) First, Thanks Alot for all of the great answers- and i just wanted to make my question a little more clear- the day i picked her up, the groomer told me she had a hard time with her Bad Leg so she did not File her back nails- That's All she said- When i called her back on the third day after being groomed & went to the Vet & it was her other leg hurt; that is when she told me her nail got caught in the drain- The pain she is in has Nothing to with her Nail though- it's higher up like her Hip; so, i am guessing she really Jerked it & b/c she depended So Much on that Leg it has Triggered other things- i have Lost Trust b/c she didn't tell what happened until i called her back- & she should have Cared more about my dog then to have only called Once to see how she was- actually, the Owner should have been the one to call- i would be this Upset with her if she would of been Honest & Concerned- i don't think Everything that is going on is her fault but, my dog was fine the morning she went in & she has been in Major Pain ever since i picked her up- She knew that she had problems with her right leg- her nail that got caught was on her left - so, she is now having a hard time walking all together..... it almost seemed like she was Blaming my dog for getting her nail caught...... hope i didn't confuse you more!

daisyb

Asked by daisyb at 12:10 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Pets

• well we all know that trips to the vet aren't cheap! I would suggest that the groomer pays for all of the expenses involved, because if it werent for her ripping the dogs nail out of the drain (omg that sounds terrible) then none of this would have happened.... Im so sorry your little baby is going through this! Hang in there mama!!
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 12:14 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Id be asking for the salon owners Biz insurance info and filing a claim. Also? Find another groomer and file a police report if the salon wont pay up for harming your baby.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:30 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Write out a letter of questions you want the grroner to answer, call her up and (as calmly as you can) ask her to give you an explanation fir her behavior. I'd try to have her pay most if not all vet bills if you are certain it is her treatment which has resulted in the visits (seems like it is) I do not handle confrontation well- especially in regards to my loved ones. Writing things out helps me to stay focused and helps me to remember what I want to ask/ what the person responds.
    Sorry that you and your pup are going through this. Take care.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:34 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I would have talked to the boss and made them liable for medical bills.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:08 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Wait. The groomer said she actually "ripped" the dog's nail out? She should have grabbed her by the foot to minimize the strain on the dog and turned her foot to free the nail. If she did do this, the dog may have panicked before hand and hurt herself trying free her own leg. I would ask the groomer the exact details of what happened, because dogs usually will panic when caught or stuck. Just make sure your trust wasn't misplaced and if she did indeed just pull on the dog to pull the nail out (which they are advised NEVER to do) then file a claim with their company insurance. They should have to pay medical bills if this was indeed her fault.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011