What would you do if you felt that your own child treats you like a child?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:35 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• MY 18 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER DOES THAT TO ME BUT I LET HER KNOW THAT SHE WILL NEVER BE OLDER THAN ME SO SHE BETTER REMEMBER HER PLACE...JUST STAY FIRM AND DONT LET THEM TAKE OVER
    lena695

Answer by lena695 at 5:01 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Depends. My kids are little and I wouldn't hold it against them! They're my babies.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:47 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Id need more info to anser this better. How old is the child, what behavior are you doing that makes the child treat you like a child and what exactly is the child doing that makes you feel like your being treated like a kid?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:48 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Step back and think about what it is they're doing that makes me feel that way. My mother and I went through this issue A LOT and still do sometimes even know that I am grown. As a teen I could be smart-mouthed but even to this day my mother absolutely hates when I am right about something. Even when I'm very careful not to come across condescending she'll act like I'm just trying to show off and act like I'm smarter than her because "I'm the child, she's the mother" and it's not necessarily like that. But if you're just talking about smart-ass teenagers I'd put them in their place. Or let them "be adults" for a day. Make them pay the bills, etc. Show them how much they REALLY know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• IM SORRY BUT I GREW UPIN A VERY STRICT HOUSE HOLD AND EVEN THOUGH I WOULD NEVER USE THE SAME DISCIPLINE METHODS I WOULD NOT ALLOW IT
    ryahzMommy

Answer by ryahzMommy at 9:06 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Do you mean as adults they are treating you like a child? I would ask them not to do this, but I know it will happen as I get older. I was guilty of doing it to my mother and my MIL and they told me to please stop it. It is an easy trap to fall into but just talk it over and get through it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:51 AM on Mar. 13, 2011