Anyone else have to pump at work?

I am currently pumping at work. It's nice to have a break and I wish I could relax, but my job is pretty fast paced and I always feel rushed to finish. It makes me dislike breastfeeding a little. Okay...rant over.

sydash11

Asked by sydash11 at 12:49 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't any longer. But I did. And I didn't enjoy it at all. When I first returned to work at 6 wks I was pumping 4x/day at work I think. It was AWFUL! I had to hospitalize a client & I thought by breasts would burst. I got plugged ducts all the time. I'm not saying it wasn't worth it, but it was hard. Very time consuming, not at all bonding, etc. I like the new PSA, "Every Ounce Counts" much better than "Breast is Best". I just could not pump enough, so we had to supplement more and more. But my daughter self-weaned at 11mo, & by then she had had so many ounces of breast milk, I can't even tell you!
    Bookwormy

Answer by Bookwormy at 12:58 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• No I never did... I work in High School athletics providing emergency medical coverage on the sidelines of athletic events - not exactly the place to pump! I can imagine there's no relaxing way to pump at work, no matter what you do!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:04 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I could not imagine even trying at work. It would be so difficult.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 3:40 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I work as an RN in an emergency room, so you can't ever predict what will come in. Makes me have a little anxiety trying to pump.
    sydash11

Comment by sydash11 (original poster) at 5:01 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I'm a nurse as well... I usually took part of my lunch break to pump or I found time to take a break... there were or coarse days where I wasn't able to pump because there wasn't time. I pumped until he was 10 months old.
    Remember, you are entitled to breaks... take the time for yourself and your baby, don't feel pressured to hurry.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yeah I pump too, it's def a rush, b/c i have to drive to a different building to pump then drive back to try to finish my lunch. I have no free time at all during work. I only pump one time during lunch time and that's about it. It's all worth it tho!
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• i pumped at work, and always felt a little rushed. I had an office so I could close the door and would pump and answer emails at the same time (i had a hands free pump bra) which made life so much easier. I also pumped on my commute to and from work so I could cut down on the number of times i had to pump at work.
    handsfreemom

Answer by handsfreemom at 1:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2011